[Adopted 10-20-2016 by Ord. No. 2016-16]
As used in this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- ANIMAL CARE FACILITY
- An animal control center or animal shelter, maintained by or under contract with any state, county, or municipality, whose mission and practice is, in whole or significant part, the rescue and placement of animals in permanent homes or rescue organizations.
- ANIMAL RESCUE ORGANIZATION
- Any not-for-profit organization which has tax-exempt status under § 501(c)(3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code, whose mission and practice is, in whole or in significant part, with or without salary or compensation, to house and care for homeless animals in the home of an individual or in other facilities, with the intent of placing the animals in responsible, more permanent homes as soon as possible.
- A member of the species of domestic cat, Felis catus.
- A member of the species of domestic dog, Canis familiaris.
- OFFER FOR SALE
- To sell, offer for sale or adoption, advertise for the sale of, barter, auction, give away or otherwise dispose of a dog or cat.
- PET SHOP
- Any place of business which is not part of a kennel, wherein animals, including, but not limited to, dogs, cats, birds, fish, reptiles, rabbits, hamsters or gerbils, are kept or displayed chiefly for the purpose of sale to individuals for personal appreciation and companionship rather than for business or research purposes. Such definition shall not include an animal care facility or animal rescue organization, as defined.
If any section, subsection, paragraph, sentence, clause or phrase of this article shall be declared invalid for any reason whatsoever, such decision shall not affect the remaining portions of this article which shall continue in full force and effect, and to this end the provisions of this article are hereby declared to be severable.