[Adopted 10-23-2017 by Ord. No. 18-2017]
As used in this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- ANIMAL CARE FACILITY
- An animal control center or animal shelter, maintained by or under contract with any state, county, or municipality, whose mission and practice is, in whole, or significant part, the rescue and placement of animals in permanent homes or rescue organizations.
- ANIMAL RESCUE ORGANIZATION
- Any not-for-profit organization which has tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code, whose mission and practice is, in whole or in significant part, the rescue and placement of animals in permanent homes.
- A member of the species of domestic cat, Felis catus.
- A member of the species of domestic dog, Canis familiaris.
- OFFER FOR SALE
- To sell, offer for sale or adoption, advertise for the sale of, barter, auction, give away or otherwise dispose of a dog or cat.
- PET SHOP
- A retail establishment where dogs and cats are sold, exchanged, bartered or offered for sale as pet animals to the general public at retail. Such definition shall not include an animal care facility or animal rescue organization, as defined.
No pet store shall sell, deliver, offer for sale, barter, auction, give away, or otherwise transfer or dispose of cats or dogs. Nothing in this section shall prohibit pet stores from collaborating with animal care facilities or animal rescue organizations to offer space for such entities to showcase adoptable dogs and cats.
This chapter shall be enforced by the Zoning Officer. It shall be the duty of the Zoning Officer to investigate any violations of this chapter coming to his attention, and if a violation is found to exist, he shall prosecute a complaint before the Municipal Court.