[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Council of the Township of Bridgewater 9-6-2018 by Ord. No. 18-16. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Drug-free school zones — See Ch. 84.
The purpose of this chapter is the regulation of the retail sale, cultivation, manufacturing and testing of recreational marijuana within the Township of Bridgewater, in the County of Somerset, in accordance with the provisions of the New Jersey Marijuana Legalization Act.
The Township Council of the Township of Bridgewater, being the governing body of said municipality and a local government entity pursuant to the New Jersey Marijuana Legalization Act, shall constitute the administrative authority for the regulation of recreational marijuana sale and consumption within Bridgewater Township and consistent with the statutes of the State of New Jersey.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- MARIJUANA CULTIVATION FACILITY
- A facility licensed to grow and cultivate marijuana and to sell marijuana to marijuana product manufacturing and to other marijuana cultivation facilities, but not to consumers.
- MARIJUANA PRODUCT MANUFACTURING FACILITIES
- An entity licensed to purchase marijuana; manufacture, prepare and package marijuana items; and sell items to other marijuana product manufacturing facilities and to marijuana retailers, but not to consumers.
- MARIJUANA RETAILER ESTABLISHMENTS
- An entity licensed to purchase marijuana from marijuana cultivation facilities and marijuana items from marijuana product manufacturing facilities or marijuana wholesalers and to sell marijuana and marijuana products to consumers from a retail store, which shall also be known as a dispensary.
- MARIJUANA TESTING FACILITIES
- An independent, third-party entity meeting accreditation requirements established by the division that is licensed to analyze and certify the safety and potency of marijuana items.
The operation of marijuana retail establishments, marijuana cultivation facilities, marijuana product manufacturing facilities and marijuana testing facilities is hereby prohibited in the Township of Bridgewater.
Nothing in this chapter shall prohibit the operation of Alternate Treatment Centers ("ATC") pursuant to the New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act, N.J.S.A. 24:6I-1 et seq., provided that no ATC shall also hold a license as a marijuana retail establishment for the purposes of dispensing marijuana for recreational consumption.
Any person who shall knowingly violate any of the provisions of this chapter shall, upon conviction, be subject to a fine of not more than $500 or imprisonment for a term of not more than 90 days, or both such fine and imprisonment, in the discretion of the court.