The book shall be known and may be cited as "The Revised General Ordinances of the Township of Branchburg, 1978," and is herein referred to as the "revision."
For the purpose of this revision, and in the interpretation and application of all other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require:
- CLERK OR TOWNSHIP CLERK
- Shall mean the municipal clerk duly elected pursuant to law.
- Shall mean an organizational unit of the government established or designated by ordinance or this revision as a department, together with any agency or instrumentality of the government assigned to such organizational unit by the township committee.
- Shall mean licensed in accordance with the appropriate section or chapter of this revision.
- Shall mean a calendar month unless otherwise specifically provided.
- Shall mean any act of local legislation heretofore or hereafter adopted, and including this revision, so long as it is adopted by the procedure required for the adoption of an ordinance and so long as it remains in force and effect pursuant to law.
- Shall mean any individual, natural persons, partnerships, joint ventures, societies, associations, clubs, trustees, trusts, corporations or unincorporated groups; or any officers, agents, employees, servants, factors or any kind of personal representatives of any thereof in any capacity, acting either for himself or for any other person, under either personal appointment or pursuant to law.
- Shall include a street, avenue, road, alley, lane, highway, boulevard, concourse, driveway, culvert, sidewalk, and crosswalk, and every class of road, square, place or municipal parking field used by the general public,
- Shall mean the Township of Branchburg in the County of Somerset and State of New Jersey.
- TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE OR COMMITTEE
- Shall mean the committee of the township.
- Shall mean a calendar year unless otherwise specifically provided.
For the purpose of this revision and any other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require:
The present tense includes the past and future tenses and the future, the present.
The masculine gender includes the feminine and neuter.
The singular number includes the plural and the plural the singular.
"Shall" is mandatory and "may" is permissive.
The time within which an act is to be done shall be computed by excluding the first and including the last day and if the last day be a Sunday, a legal holiday, or a day on which the offices of the township are closed, that day shall be excluded.
"Writing" and "written" shall include printing, typewriting and any other mode of communication using paper or similar material which is in general use, as well as legible handwriting.
Whenever a specific time is used in this revision, it shall mean the prevailing and established time in effect in the State of New Jersey during any day in any year.
Any citation of a statute, law or ordinance contained in this revision shall be deemed to refer to such statute, law or ordinance as amended, whether or not such designation is included in the citation.
"Chapter" shall mean one of the major divisions of the revisions identified by an Arabic number and divided by subject matter.
"Section" shall mean a major subdivision of a chapter.
"Subsection" shall mean a subdivision of a section, identified by a decimal number.
"Paragraph" shall mean a subdivision under a subsection, identified by an alphabetical letter or Arabic number.
If any chapter, section, subsection or paragraph of this revision shall be declared to be unconstitutional, invalid, or inoperative, in whole or in part, by a court of competent jurisdiction, such chapter, section, subsection or paragraph shall, to the extent that it is not unconstitutional, invalid or inoperative, remain in full force and effect, and no such determination shall be deemed to invalidate the remaining chapters, sections, subsections or paragraphs of this revision.