[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Commissioners of the Township of Upper Pottsgrove by Ord. No. 207 (Ch. 1, Part 7, of the 1993 Code). Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Americans With Disabilities Act.
- ADA BOARD
- Upper Pottsgrove Township "Americans With Disabilities Act" Compliance Review Board.
- Any buildings, barriers, paved areas (other than streets), facilities or permanent program equipment, for public use or access, approved by the Township Commissioners, or any other regulatory body within the jurisdiction of Upper Pottsgrove Township.
- Upper Pottsgrove Township Board of Commissioners.
- Any services or programs or areas offered for public use or access within the Township of Upper Pottsgrove.
- All ordinances, regulations, rules, policies and regulatory actions taken by the Upper Pottsgrove Township Board of Commissioners or any other regulatory body within the jurisdiction of Upper Pottsgrove Township.
- Upper Pottsgrove Township appointed Solicitor.
The ADA Board shall consist of at least four members, to be appointed by the Board of Commissioners, each to serve five-year terms. Initially two members shall be appointed for a three-year term and two members shall be appointed for a five-year term. Thereafter all members shall be reappointed for five-year terms.
The Board of Commissioners may, at its discretion, appoint additional members as it deems necessary, by a majority vote of the Board, for either a full term, or for a limited period of time as the needs may dictate.
Township residency shall not be a requirement for membership on the Board, with the exception of those members who shall be appointed from the ranks of Township officials.
The minimum of four members who shall be appointed to serve on the Board shall have the following backgrounds:
Two members shall be chosen from current elected or appointed officials of Upper Pottsgrove Township. (It is suggested that one member come from the Board of Commissioners and one member come from the Upper Pottsgrove Township Planning Commission.)
A minimum of one member shall be appointed who qualifies as "disabled" under the guidelines of the ADA.
Additional members, when authorized, may be chosen from either of the above categories, or they may represent the legal, engineering or other professional fields, or may be citizens at large.
Vacancies within one of the minimum of four memberships shall be filled by a majority vote of the Board of Commissioners, and shall continue for the unexpired term to be filled.
The ADA Board shall meet at the request of the Board of Commissioners, or any other regulatory body within the Township, as the need for ADA compliance review arises. The Board may also meet at its own discretion, from time to time.
Two members shall constitute a quorum for conducting meetings.
The purpose of this Board is to insure compliance of all facilities, permanent equipment, programs, ordinances, resolutions, rules and regulations with the Americans With Disabilities Act.
Duties of the ADA Board shall be as follows:
To review all aspects of local government to insure that compliance with the ADA is achieved.
Work with local government agencies to insure that persons with disabilities, as defined within the ADA, are not discriminated against, and that all programs within the Township recognize the needs of those persons.
Insure that employment practices of the Township and its contractors are in compliance with the ADA.
Review all construction plans prior to advertising to insure compliance with the ADA.
Review all programs initiated within the Township to insure compliance with the ADA.
Communicate to the Township Commissioners any noncompliance with the ADA in any of the above areas.