[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Council of the Town of Coventry 11-12-1991 by Ord. No. 9-91-0181 as Ch. 11, §§ 11-3 and 11-4, of the 1991 Code. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Article I Possession on School Property and Other Public Property
Article II Possession and Consumption in Public Areas
The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this article, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
- ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE
- Any liquid which either by itself or by mixture with any other liquid is or may become fit for human consumption as a drink, and which contains 0.5 of 1% or more of alcohol by weight.
- INTOXICATING BEVERAGE
- A beverage which contains more than 3.2% of alcohol by weight.
- MALT BEVERAGE
- Any beverage which is usually produced at breweries, as distinguished from distilleries.
- Control or ownership.
- PUBLIC PLACE
- Any land and buildings belonging to the Town, excluding the Town Community Center building or other Town buildings utilized for social gatherings or designated by the Town Council for community social gatherings.
- SCHOOL PROPERTY
- Any land and buildings under the care, custody and control of the Town School Committee.
No person shall be in possession of any alcoholic beverage, intoxicating beverage or malt beverage while on or in and about school property within the Town. No person shall be in possession of any alcoholic beverage, intoxicating beverage or malt beverage while on or in and about any public place belonging to the Town.
When beverages prohibited in this article are found within any vehicle, the owner or driver of the vehicle, if present, shall be considered in possession of the beverage.
When beverages prohibited in this article are found within a vehicle wherein there is more than one occupant, all occupants shall be considered in possession.
Any person found violating this article shall be punishable as set forth in Chapter 1, General Provisions, § 1-2, of the Code of the Town of Coventry. Fines are to be recovered to the use of the Town.
The enforcement of this article shall be by the Town Police Department and violations shall be prosecuted in the same manner as any misdemeanor violation.
It shall be unlawful for any person to consume alcoholic beverages from any bottle, glass or metal container, or any other container, on any public street, highway, park, recreation area or other public place, including while in or upon a motor vehicle which is either moving or stopped in the Town.
It shall be unlawful for any person to possess alcoholic beverages other than in the original unopened condition on any public street, highway, park, recreation area or other public place, including while in or upon a motor vehicle which is either moving or stopped in the Town.