[HISTORY: Adopted by the Village Council of the Village of Ridgewood 5-10-2006 by Ord. No. 2995. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Brush, grass and weeds — See Ch. 115.
Fees — See Ch. 145.
Garbage, rubbish, refuse and recycling — See Ch. 165.
Power tools, landscaping and yard maintenance equipment — See Ch. 222.
Property maintenance — See Ch. 223.
Trees and shrubs — See Ch. 260.
Yard Waste — See Ch. 275.
The purpose of this chapter is to establish requirements for the permitting and registration of landscapers and landscaping services operating within the Village of Ridgewood, so as to assist the Village with its compliance with requirements of the Tier A Municipal Stormwater General Permit NJPDES Permit No. NJ0141852. The Village Council of the Village of Ridgewood finds that the permitting and registration of landscapers and landscaping services provides a means for the timely notification of critical information regarding the collection of yard waste in the Village to such services and to prescribe penalties for the failure to comply with these requirements.
For the purpose of this chapter, the following terms, phrases, words and their derivations shall have the meanings stated herein unless their use in the text of this chapter clearly demonstrates a different meaning. When not inconsistent with the context, words used in the present tense include the future, words used in the plural number include the singular number, and words used in the singular number include the plural number. The word "shall" is always mandatory and not merely discretionary.
- ANNOUNCED COLLECTION DATE
- The scheduled calendar date of pickup of noncontainerized yard waste by the Village of Ridgewood in specified sections of the Village. The announced collection date may be modified by weather or environmental conditions, at which time a new date will be announced for specified sections of the Village of Ridgewood on the Village's Web site, cable television access channel, and through the official publications of the Village of Ridgewood. Announced collection dates will also be mailed and e-mailed to all holders of the annual permit.
- ANNUAL FEE
- The fee charged by and payable to the Village Clerk of the Village of Ridgewood to obtain an annual permit for the purposes stated.
- ANNUAL PERMIT
- A permit issued by the office of the Village Clerk of the Village of Ridgewood for the purposes stated, upon a registrant's filling out and submitting of a registration application form with the requisite fee(s).
- CONTAINERIZED YARD WASTE
- The placement of yard waste in a trash can, bucket, biodegradable paper bag or other such container, such as to prevent the yard waste from spilling, blowing out, or releasing into the street and coming into contact with stormwater.
- Any individual, corporation, company, partnership, firm,
or association who employs the services of a landscaper to remove
for depositing in the street leaves and vegetated yard waste from
property(s) in the Village of Ridgewood.[Amended 11-28-2012 by Ord. No. 3357]
- FACILITY ACCEPTANCE TICKETS
- Tickets that can be purchased from the Village Finance Department permit holders to dump leaves from Village residents at the Lakeview Composting Facility. Tickets will he required as follows:
Number of Tickets
1 - 10
10 - 20
- Any person or entity, commercial or otherwise, whose business
undertakes any or all of the following services performed for customers
within the Village of Ridgewood for financial consideration:[Amended 11-28-2012 by Ord. No. 3357]
- A. Collection, consolidation, and depositing of yard waste in the street for subsequent collection and removal by the Village of Ridgewood.
- PERMIT HOLDER
- A landscaper that has been issued a permit to operate within the Village of Ridgewood pursuant to the provisions of this chapter.
- Any paved street, avenue, boulevard, road, parkway, viaduct, drive, or other way, which is an existing state, county, or municipal roadway, and includes the land between the street lines, whether improved or unimproved, which may be comprised of pavement, shoulders, gutters, curbs, sidewalks, parking areas, and other areas within the street's right-of-way limit lines.
- Any vehicle, including any trailer, required to be registered with the New Jersey Department of Motor Vehicles for use on local roads and highways and used by a landscaper in the performance of his work in the Village of Ridgewood.
- YARD WASTE
- Grass clippings, leaves, and other vegetative debris removed
from a property by a landscaper engaged to provide lawn care, tree,
or shrub care, or landscaping services and deposited in the street
for subsequent collection and removal by the Village of Ridgewood.[Amended 11-28-2012 by Ord. No. 3357]
[Amended 11-28-2012 by Ord. No. 3357]
All landscapers and landscaping firms depositing yard waste in the street for customers within the Village of Ridgewood shall display an annual decal as evidence of a current annual permit as required by the provisions of this chapter. Proof of being permitted pursuant to this chapter shall be demonstrated by the display of a decal, which will be issued to each permit holder. The decal shall be displayed by the permit holder on each vehicle the permit holder owns or operates within the Village of Ridgewood in connection with the permit holder's landscaping business.
The sole exception to the above permitting requirement will apply only to landscapers who do not utilize a motor vehicle to transport equipment used to provide landscaping services.
[Amended 11-28-2012 by Ord. No. 3357]
The registration fee for the annual permit required pursuant to the provisions of this chapter shall be as set forth in Chapter 145, Fees, upon filing a registration application with the Village Clerk.
The permit fee grants each landscaper five decals for his/her vehicles, upon presentation of a valid New Jersey Department of Motor Vehicles or any other state Department of Motor Vehicle Services vehicle registration for each vehicle a decal is requested for.
Additional vehicle decals are available for each permit holder for the fee as set forth in Chapter 145, Fees, upon presentation of a valid New Jersey Department of Motor Vehicles or any other state Department of Motor Vehicle Services vehicle registration for each vehicle an additional decal is requested for.
All permits shall be issued for a term of one year from March 1 February 28 of the following year. Any fractional year shall be considered a full year for the purposes of this section. Permits are not transferable, nor shall they be sold.
[Amended 11-28-2012 by Ord. No. 3357]
All permit holders (landscapers) responsible for the placement of yard waste in the street from their customers, either containerized or noncontainerized, shall adhere to the schedule of the Village of Ridgewood's announced collection dates. Noncontainerized yard waste or debris shall not be permitted to be placed in the street more than seven days prior to an announced collection date.
At all times, grass clippings shall be kept separate of other types and kinds of yard waste and shall not be comingled with other types of yard waste, either containerized or noncontainerized.
All permit holders shall clearly display the decal issued. The decal shall be affixed on the driver's side door of the vehicle, underneath the window. For trailers, the decal shall be affixed on the driver's side above the trailer's wheels.
All vehicles used by permit holders shall maintain a covering tarp at all times over yard waste and debris when the vehicle is in transit so as to prevent any debris from spilling, blowing, falling, or otherwise discharging from the vehicle onto the streets of the Village of Ridgewood. Permit holders shall be responsible for cleanup of any debris spilled from their vehicles.
[Amended 11-28-2012 by Ord. No. 3357]
All applications for the annual permit registrations and/or renewal applications shall be on the forms provided by the office of the Village Clerk. All forms submitted must be signed by the owner of the landscaper firm or entity or his/her designated and authorized agent with the appropriate fee. Each registration application and/or renewal application shall provide the following information:
Name, address, telephone number and e-mail address of the applicant.
The applicant's contact person, including telephone numbers and an e-mail address.
The name under which the business is operated.
The name, make, model, year and license plate of each motor vehicle or trailer to be used by the permit holder within the Village of Ridgewood.
Copy of the landscaper's insurance declaration page or certificate of insurance with the Village of Ridgewood named as an additional insured.
Any other such information deemed pertinent as necessary and prescribed by the Village Clerk.
The correct fee.
All applications for permits shall be received by the Village Clerk and reviewed for completeness. Once complete, the Village Clerk shall issue the permit and requisite vehicle decals to the landscaper along with a copy of the Village of Ridgewood Yard Waste Ordinance.
Applicants who have been denied a permit shall have the right to appeal the decision to the Village Manager. The Village Manager's decision shall be deemed final.
Landscapers registered with the Village shall have the option of transporting the leaves collected only from their Village of Ridgewood customers to the Lakeview Composting Facility (herein after known as "Lakeview") during the scheduled hours of operation. Facility acceptance tickets shall be required with every load in accordance with the requirements stated in § 186-2. The facility acceptance tickets submitted with each load of leaves brought to the Lakeview shall have the following information on them: printed name and signature of the driver delivering the leaves, addresses from which the leaves were collected, and date of delivery to Lakeview.
All loads of leaves brought to Lakeview shall be subject to inspection. Loads containing materials other then leaves shall be rejected and removed from Lakeview by the landscaper. Failure to permit inspection of loads brought to Lakeview will result in the cancellation of the permit holder's use of the composting facility. For all permit holders, after the fourth load from a permit holder is rejected, said permit holder shall be denied use of Lakeview for the remainder of the permit period.
The facility acceptance tickets will be sold in books of five tickets for $150. Tickets have no expiration date and are valid from year to year. Unused tickets can be used the following leaf acceptance season by permit holders.
This chapter shall be enforced by the Village of Ridgewood Police Department, and/or the Director of the Department of Public Works or his/her designated representative, and/or the Village Manager or his/her designated representative, and/or the Director of Operations for the Village or his/her designated representative.
Any permit holders or other person(s) or entity found to be in violation of the provisions of this chapter shall be subject to a minimum fine of $200 per violation, per vehicle, operated by a landscaping company.
Except as herein amended and supplemented, Chapter 145, Fees, of The Code of the Village of Ridgewood remains in full force and effect.