[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Supervisors (now County Legislature) of the County of Sullivan as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
[Adopted 12-10-1979 by L.L. No. 4-1979]
As used in this article, any inconsistent provision of law notwithstanding, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
- ENFORCING OFFICER
- The Sullivan County Treasurer.
- GOVERNING BODY
- The Sullivan County Legislature.
- An unpaid tax, special ad valorem levy, special assessment or other charge imposed upon real property by or on behalf of a municipal corporation or special district which is an encumbrance on real property, whether or not evidenced by a written instrument, and provided that one such tax, levy, assessment or other charge has remained undischarged for a period of one year or more.
- MUNICIPAL CORPORATION
- The County of Sullivan.
- REAL PROPERTY
- Property upon which there is erected any residential, commercial or industrial building or structure except a one- or two-family residential structure.
- TAX DISTRICT
- A county, city, town or village having the power to enforce the collection of taxes, special ad valorem levies, special assessments or other charges imposed upon real property by or on behalf of a municipal corporation or special district.
The County of Sullivan shall claim against the proceeds of a policy of fire insurance insuring the interest of an owner and issued on real property located therein to the extent of any lien thereon, which claim, when made and perfected in accordance with law, shall further constitute a lien against such proceeds and which shall, as to such proceeds, be prior to all other liens and claims except the claim of a mortgagee of record named in such policy.
In the event that the Sullivan County Treasurer shall receive, or be entitled to receive, the proceeds of a policy of fire insurance as herein provided, the Sullivan County Treasurer shall release or return the proceeds to the owner if the owner shall agree, in writing, with the County of Sullivan to restore the affected premises to the same or improved condition that it was in prior to the time that the lien of the County of Sullivan against the proceeds arose, and that the conditions for guarantee of performance shall be such as the County Legislature shall provide by resolution.
The provisions of this article shall not be deemed or construed to alter or impair the right of the County of Sullivan to acquire or enforce any lien against real property, but shall be in addition to any other power provided by law to acquire or enforce such right.