[HISTORY: Adopted by the Mayor and Board of Aldermen of the Town of Boonton by Ord. No. 14-96. Amendments noted where applicable.]
[Amended by Ord. No. 17-97]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- The administration, by any person of a method of exerting or applying pressure, friction, moisture, hot or cold to the human body, or the rubbing, stroking, kneading, pounding or tapping of the human body by any physical or mechanical means for any form of consideration.
- MASSAGE ESTABLISHMENT
- An establishment or business operation wherein massage is administered or permitted to be administered for any form of consideration.
- MASSAGE THERAPIST/BODYWORKER
- Anyone certified in massage therapy/bodywork techniques; anyone graduated from a recognized massage therapy/bodyworker school or apprenticeship program; or anyone board certified as a massage therapist/bodyworker.
- MASSAGE THERAPY
- Any form of professionally recognized massage or bodywork conducted by a professional massage therapist/bodyworker or any healthcare provider licensed to perform that service in this state.
- Any individual, firm, corporation, partnership or any other form of business which may be conducted in this state.
It shall be unlawful for any person to operate or participate in the operation of any massage establishment.
This chapter shall not apply to:
Legitimate massage therapy as provided by a massage therapist/bodyworker.
Legitimate massage therapy as provided by any healthcare provider licensed to perform that service in this state.
Barbershops, beauty parlors, or nail salons in which massage is administered to the scalp, face, neck, shoulders, hands or feet only.
The Police Department and the Health Official are designated to enforce the provisions of this chapter in accordance with due process of law.
Any person who shall violate or fail to comply with any provision of this chapter shall be subject to a fine not exceeding $1,000, imprisonment for a term not exceeding 90 days, or a period of community service not exceeding 90 days, or any combination of the above.