[HISTORY: Adopted by the Council of the City of Pawtucket, as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
[Approved 7-11-1996 by Ch. No. 2419]
In accordance with R.I.G.L. §§ 11-9-13 and 11-9-13.1, no person under the age of 18 years shall purchase nor shall any person sell, give or deliver to any person under 18 years of age any tobacco or snuff. The requirements contained in the above-noted legislation, including but not limited to notice, shall be complied with by any person, firm or corporation that owns, manages or operates a place of business in which tobacco products are sold.
Any person or entity violating the provisions contained herein or the provisions of the above-noted legislation of the State of Rhode Island shall be penalized in accordance with that state's legislation.
One-half of the total amount of the fines collected by the City in accordance with the formula contained in the above-noted legislation shall be dedicated to the Police Athletic League (PAL) for the creation of substance abuse prevention programs.
[Approved 4-9-1998 by Ch. No. 2484]
The following words and terms shall have the following meanings:
- ATHLETIC FACILITIES IN THE CITY OF PAWTUCKET
- Any athletic facility, including baseball, softball, football and soccer fields, basketball and tennis courts and bleacher areas, which is owned or operated by the City of Pawtucket.
- RECREATIONAL FACILITIES IN THE CITY OF PAWTUCKET
- Any playground, swimming pool or passive park which is owned or operated by the City of Pawtucket.
- SMOKE or SMOKING
- Inhaling or exhaling smoke from any lighted or heated cigar,
cigarette, pipe, or any other tobacco or plant product, or inhaling
or exhaling aerosol or vapor from any electronic delivery device.
"Smoking" includes being in possession of a lighted or heated delivery
device that is turned on or otherwise activated.[Added 5-10-2018 by Ch. No. 3159]
- A. Any product containing, made, or derived from tobacco or nicotine that is intended for human consumption, whether smoked, heated, chewed, absorbed, dissolved, inhaled, snorted, sniffed, or ingested by any other means, including, but not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, little cigars, chewing tobacco, pipe tobacco, and snuff.
- B. Any electronic device that delivers nicotine or other substances to the person inhaling from the device, including, but not limited to, an electronic cigarette, cigar, pipe, or hookah.
- C. Notwithstanding any provision of clauses A and B in this definition to the contrary, "tobacco product" includes any component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product, whether or not sold separately.
- D. "Tobacco product" does not include any product that has been approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration for sale as a tobacco cessation product or for other therapeutic purposes where such product is marketed and sold solely for such an approved purpose.
[Amended 5-10-2018 by Ch. No. 3159]
Smoking and other uses of tobacco products shall be restricted only to designated areas at all athletic facilities owned or operated by the City of Pawtucket. Paved parking areas at such facilities shall be the designated area(s) where tobacco use is permitted; provided, however, that there shall be no designated smoking area whatsoever at the Morley Field Complex.
Smoking and other uses of tobacco products shall be prohibited at all times at recreational facilities and at athletic facility basketball and tennis courts adjacent to City recreational/playground facilities.
Tobacco use is prohibited at Slater Park, except in paved parking areas, paved or concrete (or otherwise established) walking paths and upon the Ten-Mile River Bike Path.
It is not a violation of this policy to use tobacco in or on recreational areas as part of a Native American spiritual or cultural ceremony. Approval from the Director of Public Works or his/her designee must be requested and received prior to the ceremony.
The prohibition on use of tobacco products does not apply to individuals traveling in a vehicle on any public road that runs through a City park or occupying any vehicle legally parked in a paved area.
[Amended 5-10-2018 by Ch. No. 3159]
Any violation of this article is hereby declared to be a public nuisance punishable by a civil fine of $50. Each sale and/or use shall be deemed a separate violation, and each shall be subject to a separate fine.
The Public Works Department is hereby directed forthwith to cause conspicuous signs to be erected giving notice of the above.
The City Clerk shall forward a copy of this article to each of Pawtucket's Youth Athletic Organizations with the recommendation of the City Council that it be incorporated into each organization's bylaws.