[HISTORY: Adopted by the Municipal Council of the City of Clifton 1-4-1972 by Ord. No. 4082-72 (Article 16 of Chapter 18 of the Revised Ordinances of the City of Clifton, New Jersey, 1960). Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- DIESEL-POWERED MOTOR VEHICLE
- A self-propelled vehicle designed primarily for transporting persons or property on a public street or highway which is propelled by a compression-ignition-type of internal combustion engine; for purposes of this chapter, passenger automobiles and motorcycles are excluded.
- EXHAUST EMISSIONS
- Substances emitted into the atmosphere from any opening downstream from the exhaust ports of a motor vehicle engine.
- Includes corporations, companies, associations, societies, firms, partnerships and joint-stock companies, as well as individuals, and shall also include all political subdivisions of this state or any agencies or instrumentalities thereof.
- Small gasborne and airborne particles, exclusive of water vapor, arising from a process of combustion in sufficient number to be observable.
No person shall operate any diesel-powered motor vehicle or permit any diesel-powered motor vehicle which he owns to be operated upon any of the streets of the City of Clifton or any of the public highways of the State of New Jersey within the City of Clifton if the vehicle, when in motion, emits visible smoke in the exhaust emissions within the proximity of the exhaust outlet for a period of more than five seconds.
[Amended 7-2-1985 by Ord. No. 4988-85]
This chapter shall be enforced by the Health Department, Engineering Department, Police Department and Fire Public Safety Department of the City of Clifton.
Any person who violates any provision of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be punished by a fine not exceeding $100 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 30 days, or both.