[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Committee of the Township of Colts Neck 3-8-1984 (Ch. 46A of the 1969 Code). Amendments noted where applicable.]
Recreation areas, parks and nature preserves — See Ch. 177.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- ACTIVE RECREATION PROGRAMS
- Those programs conducted by the Recreation Director and his or her staff in the fields of athletics, outdoor recreation, day camps, music and drama, excluding youth athletics as defined in the definition of "youth athletics" below.
- PASSIVE RECREATION PROGRAMS
- Those programs conducted by the Recreation Director and his or her staff in the fields of arts and crafts, social programs (i.e., concerts, movies, etc.) special events (i.e., Memorial Day parade, Christmas tree lighting, Easter egg hunt, etc.) and recreational skill instruction (i.e., photography, landscaping and gardening, etc.).
- RECREATION DEPARTMENT
- Consists of the Recreation Director, Recreation Secretary and such staff recommended by the Recreation Director for hiring and hired by the Township Administrator from time to time in accordance with the annual budget adopted by the Township Committee.
- RECREATION DIRECTOR
- The person employed by the township to propose, undertake and conduct the aforedescribed recreation programs and to provide advice on other recreational facilities and programs as directed by the Township Committee. The Recreation Director and his or her staff shall be under the direct supervision of the Township Administrator and shall be an advisor to the Recreation Committee.
- RECREATION PROGRAMS
- Those active and passive recreational activities which are proposed by the Recreation Director, endorsed for approval by the Recreation Committee and approved by the Township Committee at its annual budget review or otherwise, and undertaken and conducted by the Recreation Director.
- YOUTH ATHLETICS
- Those programs and events in the fields of athletic competition, sports leagues, etc., for ages 18 years and under, currently conducted by persons and/or organizations other than the Recreation Director and his or her staff.
There is hereby established in the Township of Colts Neck a recreation advisory committee, known as the "Recreation Committee," which shall have the duties hereinafter set forth, the members of which shall be appointed by the Township Committee in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.
Said Recreation Committee shall be comprised of not fewer than five nor more than 11 members, who shall be citizens and residents of the Township of Colts Neck.
The members first appointed shall hold office for one, two and three years, respectively, in such a manner that the terms of at least one member and not more than four members shall expire each year. Thereafter, all appointments shall be for terms of three years and all vacancies shall be filled for the unexpired term only.
One member of the Township Committee shall be appointed by the Mayor to serve as ex officio member of the Recreation Committee but shall have no vote unless he or she also is formally appointed a member of said Committee. Additional ex officio members (liaisons) from the Colts Neck School Board, Sports Foundation and other organizations may serve on the Recreation Committee but shall have no vote unless he or she also is formally appointed a member of said Committee.
One seat on the Recreation Committee shall be reserved for a Board member of the Colts Neck Sports Foundation. The member appointed from the Colts Neck Sports Foundation must remain a Board member of the Colts Neck Sports Foundation in order to maintain his or her seat on the Recreation Committee. Should the Recreation Committee Board member no longer serve on the Colts Neck Sports Foundation's Board, then that person will be replaced on the Recreation Committee Board by a current Board member of the Colts Neck Sports Foundation for the remaining term. If the Colts Neck Sports Foundation dissolves, disbands, or otherwise ceases to operate, their respective position on the Recreation Committee will be terminated and cease to exist.
[Added 2-12-2020 by Ord. No. 2020-03]
The Recreation Committee shall work with the Township Committee through its ex officio member to plan and execute, through the Recreation Director and staff, a balanced recreation program for the citizens of the township.
The Recreation Committee here established shall not be deemed to be a Recreation Commission pursuant to N.J.S.A. 40:12-1 et seq.
The Township Committee shall annually appropriate in its budget funds which may be expended through established administrative channels to provide for balanced recreation programs.
Neither the Recreation Committee, nor any member thereof, the Recreation Director or staff, shall have the power or right, express or implied, to bind or obligate the Township of Colts Neck or the Township Committee of the Township of Colts Neck directly or indirectly.
The primary purposes of the Recreation Committee shall be to study the needs of the community, recommend appropriate active and passive recreation programs and facilities when requested by the Township Committee and review the progress of approved recreation programs with the Recreation Director.
The Recreation Committee shall also be empowered to conduct a youth athletic program or programs should private or other nongovernmental organizations not provide such youth athletic program or programs.
The Recreation Committee shall organize each year within 10 days of January 1 of each year and choose from among its members such officers as it deems advisable, adopt rules and bylaws for the proper conduct of its meetings and formulate such committees for the oversight of its programs; provided, however, that the Mayor, with the approval of the Township Committee, shall appoint the Chairman of the Recreation Committee at its annual organization meeting.