Town of Rocky Hill, CT
Hartford County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Council of the Town of Rocky Hill 5-3-2004 by Ord. No. 223-04. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Building construction — See Ch. 100.
Flood damage prevention — See Ch. 141.
Subdivision of land — See Ch. 219.
It is the purpose of this chapter to assist residents living in single-family homes who have drainage problems on their property, which can be corrected by the installation of a minor stormwater drainage system on the property, and then be connected to an existing Town stormwater drainage system adjacent to or fronting their property.
Application may be made to the Town Manager or his/her designated agent. Application shall be made in writing and signed by the owner of the property or authorized agent. The application will be reviewed by the Director of Engineering and Highways to determine if the drainage problem qualifies for assistance under the chapter. The Town Manager will notify the applicant of approval or denial.
Should the application qualify, the following procedures are required of the property owner:
A drainage plan designed by a license professional engineer registered in the State of Connecticut must be submitted for review and approval by the Director of Engineering and Highways.
If drainage easements or a right-to-drain between lots is required, a plan must be prepared by a licensed land surveyor registered in the State of Connecticut, and filed with the Town Clerk. The applicant's attorney must prepare all legal documents, including easements and deeds.
Prior to construction, the Zoning Enforcement Officer must approve the installation of all erosion and sedimentation control devices.
The homeowner will enter into an agreement with the Town. This agreement must be filed with the designer's plans at the office of the Town Clerk before permits or any activity can begin.
The homeowner will be responsible for seeking approval and fulfilling the requirements of any other Town, state or federal agencies as maybe necessary.
All construction work is to be performed by a licensed drain layer. A certificate of insurance and a $10,000 bond shall he filed with the Director of Engineering and Highways.
A street excavation permit is required for all work on Town property.
All areas disturbed by the construction shall be loamed and seeded as soon as possible to stabilize the work areas and control erosion.
The Town Engineering Department must be called for inspection of the work
Applicants must submit at least three detailed proposals from qualified contractors and hire the lowest responsible bidder.
The property owner will be responsible for payment of all drainage easements, plans, materials, labor, legal fees, contractor's expense and incidentals thereto as needed.
The Town will:
Rank the project priority by time and date of receipt of the plan as described in § 142-3A.
If required, the Engineering Department will waive the street excavation permit fee.
Inspect the work for plan compliance.
Provide reimbursement for pipe and materials to construct the drainage system as shown on the approved plans. Original invoices must be provided to receive reimbursement.
Participate in the cost of the project upon proof of payment to the contractor, a one-time reimbursement for cost of pipe, and materials to construct the drainage system up to a maximum of $2,000 per household depending upon available Town funds. Items excluded from reimbursement are landscaping, seeding, sodding, driveway paving, sidewalk replacement and all other nondrainage items.