[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Council of the Town of Rocky Hill as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Article I Solid Waste Management
[Adopted 12-3-1990 by Ord. No. 169-90]
The accumulation, collection, removal and disposal of solid waste must be controlled by the Town of Rocky Hill for the protection of the public health, safety and welfare. The Town Council finds that, to give practical effect to this policy, a comprehensive system for the periodic collection, removal, disposal and/or recycling of solid waste from certain residential premises as well as from nonresidential, institutional, commercial and industrial premises and complexes is essential to public health and benefits all the citizens of the Town.
The following words and terms shall have the meanings hereinafter set out:
- Any party/entity which holds itself out for hire to collect or haul solid waste generated by residential, nonresidential, institutional, commercial and industrial premises and complexes in the Town of Rocky Hill.
- The processing of solid waste to reclaim material therefrom which would be reused in the same or another form.
- SOLID WASTE
- Solid, liquid, semisolid or contained gaseous material that is unwanted or discarded, including but not limited to demolition debris, material burned or to be processed at a resources recovery facility or incinerator, material to be processed at a recycling facility and sludge or other residue from a water pollution abatement facility, water supply treatment plant or air pollution control facility, but excluding wastes which are toxic or hazardous.
- SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT PLAN
- An administrative and financial plan for an area which considers solid waste storage, collection, transportation, volume reduction, recycling, reclamation and disposal practices for a twenty-year period, or extensions thereof.
- TOWN MANAGER
- The duly appointed chief executive officer of the Town of Rocky Hill. Whenever hereinafter used, "Town Manager" shall include those persons designated by the Town Manager to carry out purposes of this article.
The Town Manager, with the approval of the Solid Waste Management Committee, shall make and adopt a Solid Waste Management Plan and submit said plan or other reports to the Department of Environmental Protection as required by the Rules and Regulations of the Department of Environmental Protection for the State of Connecticut and by the General Statutes of the State of Connecticut.
The Town Manager shall provide the Commissioner of Environmental Protection with the name, address and telephone number of a person to receive information and respond to questions from the Department of Environmental Protection on behalf of the Town of Rocky Hill regarding solid waste disposal.
The Town Manager, with the approval of the Solid Waste Management Committee, shall make and adopt rules and regulations governing the disposal of solid waste in accordance with the general purpose of this article and may amend said rules and regulations from time to time as may be necessary. The rules and regulations and any amendments thereto shall be published at least once in a newspaper of general circulation within the Town of Rocky Hill and shall be posted in the Town Clerk's Office.
Any person or entity violating any provision of this article and/or any rules or regulations promulgated hereunder shall be fined as stated in rules and regulations for each offense. Each continuing day of violation shall be considered a separate offense. Notwithstanding the foregoing, any collector shall be subject to the fines and penalties set forth in Section 22a-220a of the Connecticut General Statutes, as amended, for violations defined therein. The Finance Director of the Town of Rocky Hill shall establish procedures for the collection of any fines or penalties levied pursuant to this article and the Connecticut General Statutes.
All collectors are required to register through the means of obtaining a license with the Town of Rocky Hill and must comply with all applicable rules and regulations made and adopted by the Town Manager, as approved by the Solid Waste Management Committee. The Town Manager is directed to issue the necessary licenses and permits for the accumulation, collection, removal, disposal and/or recycling of solid waste. The Town Manager, with the approval of the Solid Waste Management Committee, shall establish procedures and fees for the issuance of licenses and permits. The procedures and fees shall be published as part of the rules and regulations filed with the Town Clerk and referred to in § 149-5 above. The Finance Director of the Town of Rocky Hill shall establish procedures for the collection of any fees established for licenses or permits pursuant to this section.
This article is being adopted pursuant to Connecticut Public Act 90-220, as amended from time to time. Should any provision of this article be contrary to law or statute, that provision only shall not be binding; this, however, shall have no effect on any other provision of this article, all of which shall remain in full force and effect for the term of this article.
Editor's Note: See C.G.S. § 22a-207 et seq.