[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Incorporated Village of Bayville 1-22-2001 by L.L. No. 1-2001. Amendments noted where applicable.]
This chapter, applicable to skateboards, skates, in-line skates, scooters, gopeds and bicycles, shall apply whenever a skateboard, in-line skates, scooter, goped or bicycle is operated on any street or upon any highway or upon any parking lot or upon any sidewalk or any place where pedestrians walk in business districts, all within the Village of Bayville.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Every two- or three-wheel device upon which a person or persons may ride, propelled by human power through a belt, a chain or gears, with such wheels in a tandem or tricycle, except that it shall not include such a device having solid tires and intended for use only on a sidewalk.
- A vehicle that is similar to a skateboard, but with a motor attached and a handlebar for a standing rider.
- REFLECTIVE CLOTHING
- Any shirt, vest, jacket or any other readily visible piece of apparel equipped with a reflective surface, such as phosphorescent tape or an equivalent reflective surface.
- A vehicle with a long footboard between two small end wheels that is controlled by an upright steering handle attached to the front wheel.
- SKATES and IN-LINE SKATES
- Boots or shoes with one or more rows of wheels attached to the soles.
- A single platform mounted on wheels having no mechanism with which to steer or control the direction or movement while being operated.
Every person operating a skateboard, skates, in-line skates, scooter, goped or bicycle upon a highway, road or street, dedicated or otherwise, shall operate the same in strict observance of all laws applicable to a vehicle and the use thereof and in compliance with all rules of the road applicable to the operation of a vehicle and in compliance with all traffic laws, except as to those provisions of law which, by their nature, can have no application.
The operator of a skateboard, skates, in-line skates, scooter, goped or bicycle emerging from an alley, driveway or building shall, upon approaching a sidewalk, yield the right-of-way to all pedestrians approaching on said sidewalk.
No person shall stand, park or otherwise place in a position of temporary storage a skateboard, scooter, goped or bicycle upon a highway, street or sidewalk or against any building abutting a sidewalk in such a manner that shall obstruct or render injury to a pedestrian or interfere with vehicular traffic.
No person shall ride a skateboard or use skates, in-line skates, scooter, goped or bicycle upon a sidewalk within any business district.
Whenever any person shall operate a skateboard or use skates, in-line skates, scooter, goped or bicycle upon a sidewalk, such person shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian and shall give an audible signal before overtaking and passing such pedestrian.
No person shall operate a skateboard or use skates or in-line skates, scooter, goped or bicycle at night unless he or she is wearing reflective clothing, which shall be visible from a distance of not less than 50 feet and a maximum of 300 feet from the front, side and rear of the skateboard, skates, in-line skates or scooter when directly in front of the lawful beams of a headlight on a motor vehicle.
The parent of the minor child or the guardian of any minor child shall not authorize or knowingly permit any such child to violate any of the provisions of this chapter.
Any person or persons violating any provision of this chapter shall be guilty of an offense and shall forfeit and pay a fine not to exceed $50 for each offense.
Any skateboard, skates, scooter, goped or bicycle operated in violation of this chapter may be immediately impounded. The Village of Bayville shall store such impounded skateboards, skates scooters, gopeds and bicycles in a suitable secure location. No impounded skateboards, scooters, skates, gopeds or bicycles may be released until all storage costs and fees have been paid. The violator shall be responsible for the payment of all such costs and fees. The per-diem storage fee shall be as set by resolution of the Board of Trustees, from time to time. The impound fee shall be as set by resolution of the Board of Trustees, from time to time.
Any skateboard, skates, scooter, goped or bicycle not redeemed within 30 days shall become the property of the Village of Bayville.
Any modifications or amendments shall be set by resolution of the Board of Trustees from time to time.