[HISTORY: Adopted by the Village Board of the Village of Balsam Lake 7-10-2006 by Ord. No. 2006-3. Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- An individual, partnership, corporation, company or other association.
- PUBLIC NUISANCE
- Any act or failure to perform a legal duty required by this chapter is declared a public nuisance.
- SOLID-FUEL-FIRED HEATING DEVICE
- A device designed for solid-fueled combustion so that usable heat is derived for the interior of the building and includes solid-fuel-fired stoves, fireplaces, solid-fuel-fired cooking stoves, and combination fuel furnaces or boilers which burn solid fuel, including outdoor wood-burning units.
- STACKS or CHIMNEYS
- Any vertical structure enclosing a flue or flues that carry off smoke or exhaust from a solid-fuel-fired heating device; especially that part of such structures extending above a roof.
The Village of Balsam Lake shall require registration with the Village Clerk of any solid-fuel-fired heating device installed after the effective date of this chapter. Registration must be made within 10 days after the date of installation.
All wood-burning units installed within the Village limits of Balsam Lake, Wisconsin, are required to meet emission standards currently required by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Emission standards currently required by the EPA are hereby adopted by reference together with any amendments or modifications made thereto in the future.
All outdoor wood-burning units or solid-fuel-fired heating devices are subject to public nuisance as described in this chapter.
Any dense smoke, noxious fumes, gas and soot, or cinders in unreasonable quantities may be declared a public nuisance by the Village Health Officer or the Village Police Department.
Any indoor or outdoor solid fuel-fired heating device shall have a minimum stack height of 20 feet from ground level.
Any existing noncomplying stack shall be removed or replaced within a period of six months from the effective date of this chapter.
All stacks or chimneys must be so constructed to withstand high winds or other related elements.
Buildings with less than 25 feet of open space between units shall have a minimum stack height of three feet above the adjoining property's highest roof elevation.
This use of solid-fuel-fired devices within the Village of Balsam Lake is prohibited between May 15 and September 15 of each year.
The Village Public Health Officer shall enforce the provisions of this chapter. Emission standards may be enforced by the EPA.