[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Council of the Town of Stratford 2-11-1985; amended in its entirety 3-25-1985. Subsequent amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- EROTIC FONDLING
- Touching a person's clothed or unclothed genitals, pubic area, buttocks or, if such person is a female, breast.
- HARMFUL TO MINORS
- That quality of any description or representation, in whatever form, of a prohibited sexual act or sexually explicit nudity when it predominantly appeals to the prurient, shameful or morbid interest of minors; when it is patently offensive to prevailing standards in the adult community as a whole with respect to what is suitable material for minors; and when taken as a whole, it lacks serious literary, artistic, educational, political or scientific value for minors.
- The real or simulated touching, rubbing or otherwise stimulating a person's own clothed or unclothed genitals, pubic area, buttocks or, if the person is female, breast, either by manual manipulation or with an artificial instrument.
- Anything tangible which is capable of being used or adapted to arouse prurient, shameful or morbid interest, whether through reading, observation, sound or any other manner. Material or a performance is "obscene as to minors" if it depicts a prohibited sexual act or sexually explicit nudity, and taken as a whole, it is harmful to minors.
- Any person less than 17 years old.
- NUDE PERFORMANCE
- The showing of the human male or female genitals, pubic area or buttocks with less than a fully opaque covering or the showing of the female breast with less than a fully opaque covering of any portion thereof below the top of the nipple or the depiction of covered male genitals in a discernibly turgid state in any play, motion picture, dance or other exhibition performed before an audience.
- PROHIBITED SEXUAL ACT
- Erotic fondling, nude performance, sexual excitement, sadomasochistic abuse, masturbation or sexual intercourse.
- SADOMASOCHISTIC ABUSE
- Flagellation or torture by or upon a person clad in undergarments, a mask or bizarre costume or the condition of being fettered, bound or otherwise physically restrained on the part of one so clothed.
- SEXUAL EXCITEMENT
- The condition of human male or female genitals when in a state of sexual stimulation or arousal.
- SEXUAL INTERCOURSE
- Intercourse, real or simulated, whether genital-genital, oral-genital, anal-genital or oral-anal, whether between persons of the same or opposite sex, or between a human and an animal, or with an artificial genital.
- SEXUALLY EXPLICIT NUDITY
- The showing of the human male or female genitals, pubic area or buttocks with less than a fully opaque covering, or the showing of the female breast with less than a fully opaque covering of any portions thereof below the top of the nipple, or the depiction of covered male genitals in a discernibly turgid state.
- VISIBLY DISPLAYED
- That the material or performance is visible on a billboard, viewing screen, marquee, newsstand, display rack, window, showcase, display case or other similar display area that is visible from any part of the premises where a minor is or may be allowed or permitted or invited, as part of the general public or otherwise, or that is visible from a public street, sidewalk, park, alley, residence, playground, school or other place to which minors have unrestrained and a reasonably anticipated access and presence.
A person is guilty under this chapter of displaying harmful matter to minors when, having control or supervision of any business or commercial establishment or premises, with knowledge of the content and character of the material involved, he intentionally or recklessly does any of the following.
Visibly displays, exhibits or otherwise exposes to view, in that part of the premises, or immediately adjacent thereto, where a minor is or may be allowed, permitted or invited, as part of the general public or otherwise, all or any part of any material which is either of the following.
Hires, employs or otherwise places, supervises, controls or allows in any business or commercial establishment or other place any minor under circumstances which would cause, lead or allow such minor to engage in the business or activity of promoting or otherwise handling such material.
Violation of this chapter shall be punished by a fine of $100 for each separate item of material which is displayed in violation of this chapter. Each day that any violations of this chapter occur, or continue to occur, shall constitute separate offenses and shall be punishable as a separate violation or violations.