[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Board of the Town of East Hampton 1-13-1984 by L.L. No. 4-1984. Amendments noted where applicable.]
It is the purpose of this chapter to provide for increased public scrutiny and review when local agencies are proposed to be established or abolished and to thereby encourage efficiency and continuity of governmental operation, curb unnecessary growth of local government and prevent interference with the function or nature of local agencies for other than legitimate public purposes.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- LOCAL AGENCY
- Includes the following bodies, whether now in existence or subsequently created pursuant hereto and regardless of whether or not any or all of the members, staff, employees or representatives thereof are salaried or subject to Civil Service:
- A. Planning Board.
- B. Zoning Board of Appeals.
- C. Building Department.
- D. Planning Department.
- E. Recreation Department.
- F. Highway Department.
- G. Parks Department.
- H. Police Department.
- I. Department of Fire Prevention.
- J. Conservation Advisory Council.
- K. Office of Natural Resources.
- L. Fire Review Board.
- M. Board of Assessment Review.
- N. Licensing Review Board.
- O. Housing and Architectural Review Board.
No local agency as herein defined shall, by any action of the Town Board, be established or abolished unless said action shall be by local law adopted in the manner provided in Chapter 15 hereof.
Editor's Note: Former Chapter 15, Local Laws, Adoption of, adopted 5-20-1964 by L.L. No. 1-1964, was repealed 2-20-1997 by L.L. No. 8-1997.
This chapter may only be repealed or amended by adoption of a local law as provided for in Chapter 15 hereof.
The authority of the Town Board to appoint or remove individual governmental employees as provided for and limited by law shall not be affected hereby.
Should any section or provision of this chapter be decided by the courts to be unconstitutional or invalid, such decision shall not affect the validity of the chapter as a whole or any part thereof other than the part so decided to be unconstitutional or invalid.