For the purposes of this chapter, the following words and phrases shall have the following meanings:
- AGENT OF THE HUMANE SOCIETY
- The Director of the Humane Society of Harford County, Inc., and any designee of the Director.
- Any living, nonhuman vertebrate creature.
- ANIMAL SHELTER or ANIMAL POUND
- Any premises so designated by the Department of Inspections, Licenses and Permits for the purposes of impounding and caring for animals found running at large or in violation of this chapter.
- The Department of Inspections, Licenses and Permits.
- DOG AT LARGE
- Any dog will be deemed to be "at large" when it is upon the property of a person other than the owner or within the traveled portion of any public road and not leashed or under the control of the owner and obedient to the owners command.
- Any person owning, keeping, harboring or acting as custodian of an animal. Any animal owned by a minor shall be deemed to be owned, for the purposes of this section, by the parents or guardians with whom the minor resides.
- PET SHOP
- A business establishment that sells and/or offers to sell animals, whether as an owner or an agent of the owner, to the general public. Horse farms licensed by the state shall not be considered "pet shops."
- The Sheriff of Harford County, his deputies or designee.
- SUSPECTED RABID ANIMAL
- An animal shall be considered "rabid" if it has been bitten by or exposed to any animal infected with the rabies virus.
- VICIOUS OR DANGEROUS ANIMAL
- Any animal that may pose a physical threat to human beings, animals or livestock by virtue of specific training or demonstrated propensities or behavior; any animal which, without provocation, has bitten or attacked a human being or other animal or livestock shall be presumed to be "vicious."
Editor's Note: The definitions of "Animal Control Advisory Commission" and "Animal Control Warden," which immediately followed this definition, were repealed by Bill No. 15-011.
The Department shall issue licenses for the following types of dogs without the payment of any fee: