[HISTORY: Adopted by the Harford County Council by Bill No. 76-75. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Environmental control — See Ch. 109.
Hazardous waste — See Ch. 146.
Public health nuisances — See Ch. 179.
Editor's Note: This legislation was included as Ch. 14, Art. III, of the 1978 Code.
For the purposes of this chapter, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them by this section:
- Any animal and vegetable wastes resulting from the handling, preparation, cooking and consumption of food.
- IMPROVED PROPERTY
- Real property on which have been erected dwellings, buildings or other structures, whether inhabited or vacant, and all grounds appurtenant thereto.
- Garbage, rubbish and refuse and all other waste material which creates or tends to create a danger to public health, safety, welfare and property.
- RUBBISH AND REFUSE
- All solid waste consisting of both combustible waste, including but not limited to paper, cardboard, wood, cloth, bedding material, yard and lawn clippings not located in an established compost pile and dead trees and limbs, and noncombustible waste, including but not limited to metals, glass, crockery, tin cans, junked household appliances, abandoned or wrecked motor vehicles and any building and construction wastes.
- UNIMPROVED PROPERTY
- Real property which is not presently improved, although it may have been improved at one time.
No person shall throw, place or deposit or cause to be thrown, placed or deposited litter or any dangerous or offensive substances in or upon any public place, except in a public receptacle or in an authorized private receptacle for private collection.
A public receptacle shall not be used for the deposit of household garbage.
No person shall throw or cause to be thrown litter or any dangerous or offensive substance at a car, vehicle, house or fence.
No person shall throw or deposit litter upon a public or private place from a vehicle.
No person shall drive or move a truck or other vehicle unless the vehicle is so constructed, loaded or covered as to prevent any load or contents of litter from being blown or deposited upon any public or private place.
No person shall drive or move any vehicle or truck within the county, the wheels or tires of which carry onto or deposit in any street, alley or other public or private place mud, dirt, sticky substances or foreign matter of any kind.
No person shall throw, dump or deposit any trash, junk or other refuse upon the land or property of another without first obtaining the written consent of the owner or unless under the personal direction of such owner.
No person shall throw, dump or deposit any trash, junk or other refuse upon any public highway or public right-of-way of the county.
No person shall throw, place or deposit or permit to be thrown, placed or deposited upon any public or private lot litter of any description.
A person placing litter in public receptacles or in private receptacles shall do so in a manner so as to prevent it from being blown, carried or deposited by the elements upon public places or private property.
No person shall allow litter to be deposited or to accumulate, either temporarily or permanently, on his property.
This chapter shall not apply to:
Those persons who store such litter or weeds in private receptacles for collection or under controlled conditions for industrial processing, such as recycling (scrap metal, etc.).
It shall be a misdemeanor for any person to violate any provision of this chapter, and, upon conviction thereof, such person shall be punished by a fine of not more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250.) or imprisonment for not more than ten (10) days, or both.