Questions about eCode360? Municipal users Join us Monday through Wednesday between 12pm and 1pm EDT to get answers and other tips!
Town of Glocester, RI
Providence County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Council of the Town of Glocester 2-27-1986 (Ch. I, § 1, 1-01-03 of the 1991 Code). Amendments noted where applicable.]
With respect to any reasonable costs and expenses, including attorneys' fees, and for any judgment or Town-approved settlement arising out of any legal proceeding, it is hereby declared and found by the Town Council of the Town of Glocester (the "Town") to be in the interests of the public welfare and safety for the Town Council to have the authority to indemnify, reimburse, defend, advance legal and other related costs, and otherwise hold harmless any appointed or elected municipal officer who is charged or found liable in a legal proceeding with having violated or exceeded his official duties or committed any errors or omissions relating thereto; provided the conduct complained of occurred in the discharge of the person's official duty in a matter in which the Town had an interest, occurred in the discharge of a duty imposed or authorized by law, and was done in good faith.
In its discretion, the Town Council may provide for or advance the costs of defending any municipal officer who is charged with violating his official duties or exceeding the scope thereof, and the Town may advance or reimburse the costs of any approved settlement or judgment, including legal fees, arising out of any such claim; provided, however, that in the event that it is proven that the officer acted in bad faith or has committed a crime, or has otherwise been found guilty of conduct which has no legal warrant or basis, the Town has the discretion to refuse to pay any such expenses or judgment and to recover any expenses or costs previously advanced to said officer.
In order to indemnify, advance the costs and expenses for, reimburse or otherwise hold harmless any municipal officer or employee for a claim or a loss in connection with the discharge of his official duty, the officer or employee must have:
Been acting in a matter in which the Town had an interest;
Been acting in the discharge of a duty imposed or authorized by law; and
Acted in good faith.