[HISTORY: Arts. I and II adopted by the Commissioners (now Mayor and Council) of the Town of Leonardtown as indicated in article histories. Subsequent articles adopted by the Mayor and Council of the Town of Leonardtown as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
[Adopted 7-4-1975 by Res. No. 4-75]
The Town of Leonardtown, believed to be the oldest incorporated town in the state, has considered adopting a new coat of arms. The original name of the town was Seymour Town, named after John Seymour, the sixth Royal Governor of Maryland (1704 to 1709).
The coat of arms of Seymour is described in Burke's General Armory of England, Scotland and Ireland. By Act of the General Assembly dated April 26, 1684, amending an earlier act of August 8, 1683, legislation was passed establishing a "town at Britton's Neck between Britton's Bay and St. Clement's Bay," and by an act dated December 17, 1708, authority was given to establish a town of 50 acres of Sheppard's Old Fields, near the head of Britton's Bay, on the land of Philip Lynes, Esq. It appears that the name was designated as "Leonardtown" on October 28, 1728.
The Seal is described as follows:
Arms: Red, Two Wings, Joined at the Back with Tips Point Downward, Gold.
Crest: Out of a Ducal Coronet, Gold (Usually Shown with 3 Green Stones and 2 Red Stones in the Head) Band, A Phoenix of Gold Issuing From Flames, as they Would Appear in Life.
Motto: Foy Pour Devoir (Faithful To Duty). The Motto is displayed on a Silver Banner with Gold Tassles. The Motto is of ancient French origin.
The aforegoing heraldic devices are displayed on a field of royal blue since Leonardtown was established under a Royal Decree of King Charles the Second and later decrees of Queen Anne and King George II.
The whole is surrounded with a band of gold on which is inscribed the words, "LEONARDTOWN, MARYLAND," at the top and the date "1728" at the bottom, all spaced by 13 stars indicative of the fact that Leonardtown was an old town when the 13 original states were formed.
[Adopted 7-4-1975 by Res. No. 5-75]
By order of the Governor's Council in 1694, each county was designated a flag of a certain color to represent its militia contingent. St. Mary's County was issued a plain red flag.
Since Leonardtown is the County Seat of Government in St. Mary's County and since two greens were laid out in the center of the town for militia to practice military drill, Leonardtown has become the guardian of the colors.
It is only fitting that the town government of Leonardtown should have a special flag to indicate its exalted position in St. Mary's County.
The following is the description of the flag of Leonardtown: a plain red rectangle two feet high by three feet wide in size, completely bordered with gold fringe (one inch in length), and bearing in the center of the field the Seal of Leonardtown, already described, 1/5 the height of the field. The Seal is to be found on both the obverse and reverse sides of the rectangle.