[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Council of the Township of Stafford as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Article I Proof of Collection
[Adopted 10-1-1991 by Ord. No. 91-60]
As used in this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- PROOF OF COLLECTION SERVICE
- A written record, log, bill or document evidencing receipt of service for the collection of solid waste for the preceding month from a person lawfully engaging in private solid waste collection services within a municipality.
- REGULAR SOLID WASTE COLLECTION SERVICE
- The scheduled pickup and removal of solid waste from residential, commercial or institutional premises located within the boundaries of any municipality at least once a week.
- RESPONSIBLE SOLID WASTE GENERATOR
- Any property owner, tenant or occupant of any single-family residential dwelling or multiple dwelling or the owner of any commercial or institutional building or structure located within the boundaries of any municipality who generates solid waste at those premises.
- SOLID WASTE
- Garbage, refuse and other discarded materials resulting from industrial, commercial and agricultural operations and from domestic and community activities and shall include all other waste materials, including liquids, except for solid animal and vegetable wastes collected by swine producers licensed by the State Department of Agriculture to collect, prepare and feed such wastes to swine on their own farms.
- SOLID WASTE COLLECTION
- The activity related to pickup and transportation of solid waste from its source or location to a solid waste facility or other destination.
- SOLID WASTE CONTAINER
- A receptacle, container or bag suitable for the depositing of solid waste.
- SOLID WASTE DISPOSAL
- The storage, treatment, utilization, processing or final disposal of solid waste.
- SOLID WASTE FACILITIES
- Includes the plants, structures and other real and personal property acquired, constructed or operated or to be acquired, constructed or operated by any person pursuant to the provisions of this article or any other act, including transfer stations, incinerators, resource recovery facilities, sanitary landfill facilities or other plants for the disposal of solid waste, and all vehicles, equipment and other real and personal property and rights therein and appurtenances necessary or useful and convenient for the collection or disposal of solid waste in a sanitary manner.
Every responsible solid waste generator whose solid waste is not picked up by the municipal solid waste collection service in this Township shall enter into a contract for regular solid waste collection service with any person lawfully providing private solid waste collection services within the Township. The responsible solid waste generator shall file a notice with the Township Clerk setting forth the name and address of the solid waste collection service with whom the responsible solid waste generator has entered into a contract for the collection of solid waste, together with the duration of that contract.
In the case of single-family residential housing or multifamily residential housing, a responsible solid waste generator shall not be required to enter into a contract with a private vendor for the collection of solid waste where the responsible solid waste generator is transporting the solid waste which is generated at his or her residential premises directly to the solid waste facility utilized by the municipality for disposal.
Every 12 months, a person who falls within this exception shall file with the Township Clerk proof that the responsible solid waste generator is transporting solid waste which is generated at his or her residential premises directly to the solid waste facility utilized by the municipality for disposal at least once.
Once every six months, the Township Clerk shall notify all responsible solid waste generators of the requirements of this article. This notification shall be posted in a public place where public notices are customarily posted.
In addition, the Township Clerk may place an advertisement in the newspaper circulating in the municipality or include a notice with other official notifications periodically mailed to taxpayers.
It shall be the responsibility of the owner of a multiple dwelling or commercial establishment to provide a sufficient number of solid waste containers for the deposit of nonrecyclable waste material to be disposed of as solid waste.
Any person violating or failing to comply with any of the provisions of this article shall, upon conviction thereof, be punishable by a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $1,000, by imprisonment for a term not to exceed 90 days or any combination of fine, imprisonment and community service as determined by the Municipal Court Judge. The continuation of such violation for each successive day shall constitute a separate offense, and the person or persons allowing or permitting the continuation of the violation may be punished as provided above for each separate offense.
The violation of any provision of this article shall be subject to abatement summarily by a restraining order or injunction issued by a court of competent jurisdiction.