[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Village of Fairport 2-10-1975 by L.L. No. 1-1975 (Ch. 40A of the 1968 Code). Amendments noted where applicable.]
Sewers — See Ch. 400.
Pursuant to the authority of the Sewer Rent Law of the State of New York (Article 14-F of the General Municipal Law) and any and all amendments thereto, there are hereby established and imposed sewer rents as a means of producing revenue for the sewer district in the Village of Fairport to be known as the "Fairport Sewer Rent Law."
The area served by the Village of Fairport sewerage system shall include all lands within the corporate boundary lines and in addition those adjacent areas in the Town of Perinton as shown on the map and plan attached entitled "Village of Fairport Sanitary Sewer System-Service area."
Editor's Note: Said map and plan are on file in the office of the Village Clerk.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- INDUSTRIAL WASTE
- Any liquid, gaseous, solid or other waste substance or a combination thereof, resulting from any process of industry, manufacturing, trade or business or from the development or recovery of any natural resources. (See § 400-5 of the Village Code.)
- OTHER WASTES
- Garbage, refuse, decayed wood, sawdust, shavings, bark, sand, lime, cinders, ashes, offal, oil, tar, dye stuffs, acids, chemicals and other discarded matter not sewage or industrial waste. (See § 400-5 of the Village Code.)
- PART (as used in relation to the term "sewer system")
- All lateral sewers, or all branch sewers, or all interceptor sewers, or all trunk sewers, and any sewage treatment and disposal works, each part with necessary appurtenances including pumping stations.
- The water-carried human or animal wastes and permissible industrial wastes from residences, buildings, industrial establishments or other places, together with such groundwater infiltration and surface water as may be present (See § 400-5 of the Village Code for permissible uses.)
- SEWER RENTS
- A scale of annual charges established and imposed in the sewer districts and on properties in the Town of Perinton being served by the Village sewerage system, for the use of the sewerage system or any part or parts thereof. These rents shall not be imposed on users of the system within the Village so long as the Village Board elects to include sewer service in the annual Village taxes.
- SEWER SYSTEM
- All sewer pipes and other appurtenances which are used or useful in whole or in part in connection with the collection, treatment or disposal of sewage, industrial waste and other wastes and which are owned, operated or maintained by a sewer district in the Village, including sewage pumping stations and sewage treatment and disposal works.
Within the Village sewer service area, all Village residences, businesses, industrial or other facilities connected to the sanitary sewer system shall pay an annual sewer rent in the amount of $90 for each tax identification parcel in the Village.
[Amended 5-14-2018 by L.L. No. 5-2018]
In the event that any parcel of real property in its entirety falls within more than one of the above classifications, that classification which produces the greatest number of chargeable units shall be the one applicable. In the event any parcel of real property is divisible into two or more classifications, the number of chargeable units in each classification shall be determined and the total thereof shall constitute the number of chargeable units applicable to the entire parcel.
If a sewer district contracts with another municipality or agency for transmission and treatment of sewage, the number of chargeable units shall be determined by the applicable ordinances or laws of the municipality or agency which provides facilities for transmission and treatment of said sewage.
The Village Board, acting on behalf of the sewer service area, shall fix and determine the amount of the annual sewer rent to be charged for each chargeable unit in the service area, both in the Village of Fairport and the Town of Perinton.
The Village Board, acting on behalf of the sewer service area, shall fix and determine annually the sewer connection fee (entrance fee) for all new units making physical connection to the sewerage system. This one-time charge will vary depending upon the location of each structure desiring entrance (Town or Village) and whether or not the lot had been previously approved for development.
[Amended 5-14-2018 by L.L. No. 5-2018]
Sewer rents for Village properties shall become due and payable annually between June 1 and June 30, without penalty. Sewer rents for all other properties shall become due and payable annually between January 1 and January 31, without penalty. Penalty as set forth in the Real Property Tax Law shall be charged for late payment.
Direct out-of-district customers. The Village Board shall annually cause statements to be prepared setting forth the amount of the sewer rents for each of the direct out-of-district properties, in the name of the person or persons in whose name such real property is assessed, which statement shall be mailed to said owners of said property on or before January 1 of each year.
Customers in a sewer district. Properties in town sewer districts within the service area served by the Village of Fairport shall be billed by the Town of Perinton by levying the amount of the sewer rents against the real property liable at the same time and in the same manner as the general taxes. The amounts so levied shall be collected and enforced in the same manner as provided by law for the collection of taxes. The Town of Perinton shall be responsible for remitting the total amount of said sewer rents due to the Village Treasurer not later than February 15 of each year.
Village resident customers in a sewer district. Village properties within the service area of the Village of Fairport shall be billed by the Village of Fairport by levying the amount of the sewer rents against the real property liable at the same time and in the same manner as the general taxes. The amounts so levied shall be collected and enforced in the same manner as provided by law for the collection of taxes.
[Added 5-14-2018 by L.L. No. 5-2018]
The Village Board may from time to time amend, supplement, change, modify or repeal this chapter pursuant to the provisions of the Village Law applicable thereto.
Any person found to be violating any provision of this chapter shall be subject to the same penalties as set forth in § 400-8 of said Village Code.