[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Committee of the Township of Washington as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
[Adopted 12-20-1971 as Ch. I of the Revised General Ordinances]
For the purpose of this Code, and in the interpretation and application of all other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- CLERK or TOWNSHIP CLERK
- The Municipal Clerk duly elected pursuant to law.
- An organizational unit of the township government established or designated by ordinance or this Code as a department, together with any agency or instrumentality of the township government assigned to such organizational unit by the township committee.
- Licensed in accordance with the appropriate section or chapter of this Code.
- A calendar month unless otherwise specifically provided.
- Any act of local legislation heretofore or hereafter adopted, and including this Code, so long as it shall have been adopted by the procedure required for the adoption of an ordinance and so long as it shall remain in force and effect pursuant to law.
- Any individual, natural persons, partnerships, joint ventures, societies, associations, clubs, trustees, trusts, corporations or unincorporated groups; or any officers, agents, employees, servants, factors or any kind of personal representatives of any thereof in any capacity, acting either for himself or for any other person, under either personal appointment or pursuant to law.
- Includes a street, avenue, road, alley, lane, highway, boulevard, concourse, driveway, culvert, sidewalk and crosswalk, and every class of road, square, place or municipal parking field used by the general public.
- The Township of Washington in the County of Morris and State of New Jersey.
- TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE or COMMITTEE
- The duly elected committeemen of the township.
- A calendar year unless otherwise specifically provided.
For the purpose of this Code and any other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require:
The present tense includes the past and future tenses, and the future, the present.
The masculine gender includes the feminine and neuter.
The singular number includes the plural, and the plural, the singular.
"Shall" is mandatory, and "may" is permissive.
The time within which an act is to be done shall be computed by excluding the first and including the last day and if the last day be a Sunday, a legal holiday or a day on which the offices of the borough are closed, that day shall be excluded.
"Writing" and "written" shall include printing, typewriting and any other mode of communication using paper or similar material which is in general use, as well as legible handwriting.
Whenever a specific time is used in this Code, it shall mean the prevailing and established time in effect in the State of New Jersey during any day in any year.
[Added 5-1-1979 by Ord. No. 50-79]
Maximum penalty. Whenever, under this Code or any rule, regulation or order duly promulgated by an officer or agency of the Township by authority of this Code, any act is prohibited or declared to be unlawful, or the doing of any act is required and no specific penalty is provided with respect thereto, the violation of any such provision of the ordinance, rules, regulation or order shall be punishable by one or more of the following: a) imprisonment in the county jail or in any place provided by the Township for the detention of prisoners for any term not exceeding 90 days; b) a period of community service not exceeding 90 days; or c) by a fine not exceeding $2,000.
[Amended 10-15-1984 by Ord. No. 25-84; 4-16-2007 by Ord. No. 9-07]
Separate violations. Except as otherwise provided, each and every day in which a violation of any such provision of the ordinance, rule or regulation exists shall constitute a separate violation.
Application. The maximum penalty stated in this section is not intended to state an appropriate penalty for each and every violation. Any lesser penalty, including a nominal penalty or no penalty at all, may be appropriate for a particular case or a particular violation.
Amendments. In case of any amendment of or addition to any section or chapter of this Code, the penalty provided for the violation of such section or chapter shall also relate to the amendment or addition, whether reenacted in the amendatory ordinance or not, unless such penalty is specifically repealed or amended therein.
Revocation of license. The imposition of any penalty for a violation of this Code or any ordinance of the township or of the Board of Health shall not preclude the suspension or revocation of any license or permit issued by the township.
Where a fine in an amount greater than $1,250 is imposed upon an owner for violations of housing or zoning codes, owner shall be provided a thirty-day period in which the owner shall be afforded the opportunity to cure or abate the condition and shall also be afforded an opportunity for a hearing before a competent jurisdiction for an independent determination concerning the violation. Subsequent to the expiration of the thirty-day period, a fine greater than $1,250 may be imposed if a court has not determined otherwise or, upon reinspection of the property, it is determined that the abatement has not been substantially completed.
[Added 4-16-2007 by Ord. No. 9-07]
[Adopted 2-15-1999 by Ord. No. 1-99]
Be it ordained and enacted by the Township Committee of the Township of Washington, County of Morris, State of New Jersey, as follows:
The ordinances of the Township of Washington of a general and permanent nature adopted by the Township Committee of the Township of Washington 12-20-1971, as revised, codified and consolidated into chapters, articles and sections by General Code Publishers Corp. as set forth below, and as renumbered to consist of Chapters 1 through 218, together with an Appendix, are hereby approved, adopted, ordained and enacted as the "Code of the Township of Washington," hereafter known and referred to as the "Code."