[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Village of Ravena 6-5-1990 as L.L. No. 2-1990. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Vehicles and traffic — See Ch. 110.
It is hereby determined by the Village Board of Trustees of the Village of Ravena that abandoned, junked, discarded, dismantled or partially dismantled, rusted, wrecked or inoperative motor vehicles not in condition for legal use on highways as evidenced by valid inspection and registration stickers, placed on public or private property, are a visual blight and constitute a hazard to the health, welfare and safety of the citizens of the Village of Ravena. The Village Board of the Village of Ravena deems it proper to provide for the acquisition and disposal of abandoned motor vehicles by acting in its governmental capacity.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- ABANDONED VEHICLE
- A motor vehicle left unattended with no valid license plates affixed thereto:
- A. For more than six hours on any street, highway or other public place in the Village of Ravena.
- B. For more than 24 hours on any street, highway or other public place except a portion of a street, highway or public place on which parking is legally permitted.
- C. For more than 48 hours after the parking of such vehicle shall have become illegal if left on a portion of a street, highway or public place on which parking is legally permitted.
- D. For more than seven days on the property of another if left without permission of the owner.
- E. For more than seven days upon private property with no valid license plates and not in condition for legal use upon the highways, as evidenced by valid inspection and registration stickers, except as permitted by authority of the Mayor of the Village of Ravena, unless the same is necessary for the operation of a business enterprise lawfully upon said premises or as long as the motor vehicle is sheltered with a permanent structure that is in compliance with village zoning and building regulations.
Any person causing any vehicle to be an abandoned vehicle is in violation of this chapter, and it shall be presumed that the owner of the vehicle abandoned the vehicle. Such violation shall be punishable by a fine not exceeding $250. A violation of this chapter shall be deemed a violation.
After the expiration of such period, any police officer or any other authorized agent of the Village of Ravena may serve notice as approved by the Village Board upon the owner of such abandoned vehicle by posting a notice conspicuously on each abandoned vehicle.
Upon the expiration of a five-day period after posting of such notice, the Village of Ravena may cause such abandoned vehicle to be removed to a storage area designated by the Village Board of the Village of Ravena and there held for three days.
Within such three-day period, the owner or owner's agent may claim such abandoned vehicle upon payment of the towing, removal and storage charges therefor. Such owner or owner's agent shall immediately remove such abandoned vehicle to a storage area approved by the Mayor of the Village of Ravena and pay the expenses incurred by such removal.
Upon the expiration of such three-day period with no claim having been made, ownership of such abandoned vehicle shall be deemed forfeited, and such vehicle may be sold by the Village of Ravena for disposal as scrap. In the event of such sale, no charge shall be made against the owner for towing, removal, storage or disposal of such abandoned vehicle, and all moneys realized from such sale shall belong to the Village of Ravena and shall be deposited in the general fund.