It is the intention of the Town Board to safeguard the health, safety and welfare of Town residents and the public-at-large by providing for the licensing, seizure, disposal and supervision of dogs and other animals.
The Town Board shall appoint one Dog Control Officer, whose salary shall be determined by the Town Board, or the Town Board shall contract for Dog Control Officer services including services provided by another municipality, and whose duties and authority are described in New York State Agriculture and Markets Law. The Dog Control Officer's hours shall be during normal Town business hours.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- ALTERED DOG
- A dog which has been spayed or neutered.
- AT LARGE
- Off the premises of the owner.
- A. Any dog that, without provocation, approaches in a threatening or terrorizing manner any person, in apparent attitude or attack, upon the streets, sidewalks or any public grounds.
- B. Any dog with a know propensity, tendency or disposition to attack without provocation, to cause injury or to otherwise endanger the safety of human beings or domestic animals.
- C. Any dog that bites, inflicts injury, assaults or otherwise attacks a human being or other domestic animal without provocation; or
- D. Any dog that has been declared to be a dangerous dog after a hearing provided for in this chapter.
- Both male and female dogs.
- DOG CONTROL OFFICER
- An individual appointed for the purpose or assisting, within the appointing municipality, with the control of dogs and the enforcement of this Chapter.
- IDENTIFICATION TAG
- A tag issued by the Town Clerk which sets forth the identification number together with the name of the Town and state, the telephone number of the Town Clerk, and any other information deemed necessary by the Town Clerk.
- Any person who harbors or keeps any dog or other animal.
- OWNER OF RECORD
- The person in whose name a dog was last licensed pursuant to this chapter.
- An individual, partnership, corporation, association or other organized group of persons, business entity, municipality or other legal entity.
- An individual who maintains a residence within the Town of Colden.