City of Stockton, MO
Cedar County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
[CC 1979 §90.010; Ord. No. 281 Arts. I — II, 12-11-2000]
The waterworks and the sewerage system of the City of Stockton, including all future improvement and extensions thereto whether to the waterworks or to the sewerage system or to both, shall be and the same are combined and it is hereby declared that said waterworks and said sewerage system thenceforth shall be operated and maintained as a combined waterworks and sewerage system.
Further, to protect the integrity and operation of the combined system it is required and provided that all owners, tenants and residents of the City shall connect and utilize the combined waterworks and sewerage system of the City for any premises within the City that requires either water or sewerage service where there is both water and sewerage service adjoining the premises or within one hundred (100) feet of the boundary line of said premises. A hookup to one (1) of these two (2) services requires a hookup to both services.
[CC 1979 §90.020]
No sewerage or water services shall be furnished or rendered free of charge to any person, firm or corporation.
[CC 1979 § 90.030; Ord. No. 308, 10-14-2003]
No sewerage or water services shall be extended outside the City limits, nor shall any lines be extended from those which were outside the limits before it was prohibited, unless approved by the Board of Aldermen for the betterment and growth of the City of Stockton, Missouri.
[Ord. No. 338, 3-28-2005]
In order to encourage the betterment and growth of the community, Section 700.150 notwithstanding, water and sewer service may be extended outside the City limits to provide service to facilities located on land owned by the United States Government which is being utilized as a public recreation or community use area.
[Ord. No. 162 §90.035, 5-10-1993]
As approved by the Board of Aldermen on February 8, 1993, it is the policy of the City of Stockton to comply with 29 CFR Part 1926, OSHA, Subpart P, Excavations and Trenches and any amendments duly passed thereto. This policy will apply to the City employees as well as private contractors working for the City. A copy of these regulations shall be kept at Stockton City Hall along with any amendments.
[CC 1979 §90.040]
The Public Works Billing Clerk of the combined waterworks and sewerage system of the City and the City Clerk or such other officers or representatives of the City as may be designated from time to time shall cause all water meters to be read and bills for sewerage services to be rendered regularly as services accrue. All bills shall be due and payable from and after the date such bills are rendered at the office of the City Clerk or other place designated by the Board of Aldermen during the regular hours of business. The City Clerk or Public Works Billing Clerk of the City may calculate the amount of the bill of the customer for water and sewer service and render such customer a combined bill for such water and sewer service. All bills for water rates shall show on their face the meter readings at the beginning and end of the period covered and same shall be due as stated above.
[CC 1979 §90.050; Ord. No. 5 §90.050, 5-12-1980; Ord. No. 419, 9-20-2010; Ord. No. 425, 12-13-2010; Ord. No. 455, 4-22-2013; Ord. No. 463, 9-30-2013; Ord. No. 480, 2-23-2015]
Bills for water and sewer service shall be due upon receipt and delinquent after the 15th of the month.
A penalty of ten percent (10%) shall be assessed for non-payment of water and sewer services on the 16th of the month for all unpaid bills.
If payment is not received by 10:00 A.M. on the 20th of the month, service will be disconnected immediately. No notification of the disconnection will be made by phone call or door tags. Reconnection fees, as set forth in Subsection (D) herein, shall be assessed on all delinquent water and sewer bills at 10:01 A.M. on the 20th of the month.
Water and sewer service shall only be reconnected after payment of a seventy-five dollar ($75.00) reconnect fee.
[Ord. No. 532, 9-11-2017]
[Ord. No. 519, 3-27-2017]
For residents whose occupancy is seasonal in nature, or who experience extended periods of time where they are absent from their residence due to employment, the City will turn the water service on and off twice during a calendar year for no charge. On the third and any subsequent requests, a service fee of twenty-five dollars ($25.00) shall be charged to turn the service on and off.
[CC 1979 §90.055; Ord. No. 227 §90.055, 5-14-1998]
The City of Stockton shall be entitled to collect a fee on all insufficient funds checks written to the City of Stockton as payee. The maker or drawer of the check shall be primarily responsible and liable for such fee. The City shall have the right to add such fee to the water bill, City taxes, or any other debt the maker or drawer may owe to the City of Stockton. The City of Stockton shall have the right to withhold the fee from any deposits or money owed to the maker or drawer by the City of Stockton.
This remedy shall not be exclusive but shall be in addition to all rights and remedies the City of Stockton is allowed by law concerning insufficient funds checks.
The fee shall be set at twenty dollars ($20.00) per check but may be changed as determined necessary by the Board of Aldermen of the City of Stockton.
[CC 1979 §90.060]
The occupant and user of the premises receiving services or water and sewerage services combined and the owner of said premises shall be jointly and severally liable to pay for such services rendered on said premises. The City shall have power to sue the occupant or the owner, or both, of such real estate in a civil action to recover any sums due for such services, plus a reasonable attorney's fee to be fixed by the court. Any notice of termination of service shall be sent to both the occupant and owner of the premises receiving such service, if such owner has requested in writing to receive any notice of termination and has provided the entity rendering such service with the owner's business addresses.
[CC 1979 §90.070]
It shall be unlawful for any person to turn on or shut off water at any valve or shut-off box, or turn meter off or on, or any place regulating the supply of water to any premises, or part thereof, from the waterworks of the City except the Public Works Supervisor or other person authorized by him/her.
[Ord. No. 420, 9-20-2010; Ord. No. 462, 9-30-2013]
Before any utility service is furnished to any consumer he/she shall be required to make a deposit to guarantee the payment for all services as the bills therefore become due, for which a receipt shall be given. Such deposit shall be as follows:
Residential homeowner deposit: $50.00.
Residential renter deposit: $100.00, or such amount as the renter and landlord agree to in a written lease agreement signed by both parties and a copy provided to the City Clerk before service is connected.
[Ord. No. 538, 12-11-2017]
Commercial deposit: $50.00.
In the event that any consumer who has applied for any utility service and has any outstanding delinquent bills from any prior utility connections in the City, the deposit shall be paid and the outstanding delinquent bill(s) shall be paid.
If upon examination the City Clerk at any time finds the amount deposited by any water and sewer user is not sufficient to cover the bills for any two consecutive months such water and sewer user shall, after forty-eight (48) hours' written notice has been given, be required to make an additional deposit in an amount to cover the deficiency. Whenever a user of water and sewer shall for any reason cease using water, upon complying with all rules, regulations and ordinances of the City governing the furnishing and using of water and/or sewer and the payment of all bills and charges therefor in full, he/she shall be entitled to have returned to him/her the amount of deposit paid.
Said deposit shall be retained by the City until the service is discontinued. When the final bill is paid the deposit amount (without interest) shall be refunded.
[Ord. No. 336, 2-28-2005]
The City Superintendent shall not authorize the provision of water and/or sewer service to any structure or building unless the Building Inspector shall have issued a certificate of occupancy or a temporary certificate of occupancy.
The City Superintendent may authorize temporary water and/or sewer services during construction only if the required building permit has been issued by the Building Inspector.
The City Superintendent is authorized to disconnect the temporary water and/or sewer service if the service charges for the service have not been paid, if the building permit is not being complied with as determined by the Building Inspector or if a certificate of occupancy or a temporary certificate of occupancy has not been issued prior to occupancy or use.