This codification of ordinances shall be known and cited as the "Code of Ordinances of the City of Corunna, Michigan" or the "Corunna City Code."
In the construction of this Code and of all ordinances of the City, the following definitions and rules of construction shall be observed, unless they are inconsistent with the intent of the Council or the context clearly requires otherwise:
- The Charter of the City of Corunna, Michigan, effective November 16, 1970, and shall include any amendment to such Charter.
- Denotes the municipality of Corunna, Michigan.
- CITY COUNCIL or COUNCIL
- The governing body of the City of Corunna.
- CODE or THIS CODE
- The Code of Ordinances of the City of Corunna, Michigan, as designated in § 1-1, and as hereinafter modified by amendment, revision and by adoption of new chapters, articles, divisions or sections.
- COMPUTATION OF TIME
- The time within which an act is to be done, as provided in this Code or in any order issued pursuant to this Code, when expressed in days, shall be computed by excluding the first day and including the last, except that if the last day is a Sunday or a legal holiday it shall be excluded; and when the time is expressed in hours, the whole of Sunday or a legal holiday, from midnight to midnight, shall be excluded.
- COUNTY or THIS COUNTY
- The County of Shiawassee in the State of Michigan.
- Words denoting the masculine gender shall be deemed to include the feminine and neuter genders.
- GENERAL TERMS
- A general term following specific enumeration of terms is not to be limited to the class enumerated unless expressly so limited.
- JOINT AUTHORITY
- All words purporting to give joint authority to three or more public officers or other persons shall be construed as giving such authority to a majority of such officers or other persons, unless it is otherwise expressly declared in the ordinance granting the authority.
- MCL, MSA
- Refer to the Michigan Compiled Laws and Michigan Statutes Annotated, respectively, as amended.
- A calendar month.
- Words in the singular shall include the plural, and the words in the plural shall include the singular, where appropriate unless otherwise necessary.
- OFFICER, DEPARTMENT, BOARD, COMMISSION OR OTHER AGENCY
- Whenever any officer, department, board, commission or other agency is referred to by title only, such reference shall be construed as if followed by the words "of the City of Corunna, Michigan." Whenever, by the provisions of this Code, any officer, department or other City agency of the City is assigned any duty or empowered to perform any act or duty, reference to such officer, department or agency shall mean and include such officer, department or agency or deputy or authorized subordinate.
- OR; AND
- "Or" may be read "and," and "and" may be read "or" if the sense requires it.
- Person and its derivatives and the term "whoever" shall includes a natural person, partnership, association, legal entity or a corporate body or any body of persons corporate or incorporate. Whenever used in any clause prescribing and imposing a penalty, the term "person" or "whoever," as applied to any unincorporated entity, shall mean the partners or members thereof, and as applied to corporations, the officers thereof.
- SHALL; MAY
- Whenever the word "shall" appears in this Code it shall be considered mandatory and not directory, except as otherwise provided. "May" is permissive.
- STATE or THIS STATE
- The State of Michigan.
- Words used in the present or past tense include the future as well as the present and past.
Unless otherwise provided in this Code, or by law or implication required, the same rules of construction, definition and application shall govern the interpretation of this Code as those governing the interpretation of the Public Acts of Michigan.
All provisions of this Code are limited in application to the territorial boundaries of the municipal corporation although such provisions may not be so limited specifically.
Headings and catchlines used in this Code other than the chapter, article, division and section numbers, are employed for reference purposes only and shall not be deemed a part of the text of any section.
The history notes appearing in brackets after sections or subsections in this Code are not intended to have any legal effect, but are merely intended to indicate the source of matter contained in the section.
Charter references, cross references, state law references, history notes and editor's notes are by way of explanation only and should not be deemed a part of the text of any section.
All of the provisions of this chapter, not incompatible with future legislation, shall apply to ordinances hereafter adopted amending or supplementing this Code unless otherwise specifically provided.
Each chapter, article, division or section or, whenever divisible, subsection of this Code is hereby declared to be severable, and the invalidity of any chapter, article, division, section or divisible subsection shall not be construed to affect the validity of any other chapter, article, division, section or subsection of this Code.
Whenever in one section reference is made to another section of this Code, such reference shall extend and apply to the section referred to as subsequently amended, revised, recodified or renumbered, unless the subject matter is changed or materially altered by the amendment or revision.
Reference to a public office shall be deemed to apply to any office, officer or employee of the City of Corunna, exercising the powers, duties or functions contemplated in the provision, irrespective of any transfer of functions or change in the official title of the functionary.
Nothing in this Code or the ordinance adopting this Code shall affect any of the following when not inconsistent with this Code:
Any offense committed or penalty incurred or any right established prior to the effective date of the Code.
Any ordinance levying taxes.
Any ordinance appropriating money.
Any ordinance authorizing the issuance of bonds or the borrowing of money.
Any ordinance establishing utility rates.
Any ordinance establishing franchises or granting special rights to certain persons.
Any ordinance authorizing public improvements.
Any ordinance authorizing the purchase or sale of real or personal property.
Any ordinance annexing or detaching territory.
Any ordinance granting or accepting easements, plats or dedication of land to public use.
Any ordinance dedicating, naming, establishing, locating, relocating, opening, paving, widening, vacating, etc., any street or public way in the City.
Any ordinance establishing or prescribing grades in the City.
Any ordinance prescribing the number, classification or compensation of any City officers or employees.
Any ordinance prescribing traffic and parking restrictions pertaining to specific streets.
Any ordinance pertaining to zoning.
Any other ordinance, or part thereof, which is not of a general and permanent nature.
By contract or by City personnel, supplements to this Code shall be prepared and printed whenever authorized or directed by the City Council. A supplement to the Code shall include all substantive permanent and general parts of ordinances adopted during the period covered by the supplement and all changes made thereby in the Code. The pages of a supplement shall be so numbered that they will fit properly into the Code and will, where necessary, replace pages that have become obsolete or partially obsolete, and the new pages shall be so prepared that, when they have been inserted, the Code will be current through the date of the adoption of the latest ordinance included in the supplement.
In preparing a supplement to this Code, all portions of the Code that have been repealed shall be excluded from the Code by the omission thereof from reprinted pages.
When preparing a supplement to this Code, the codifier (meaning the person authorized to prepare the supplement) may make formal, nonsubstantive changes in ordinances and parts of ordinances included in the supplement, insofar as it is necessary to do so to embody them into a unified code. For example, the codifier may:
Organize the ordinance material into appropriate subdivisions.
Provide appropriate catchlines, headings and titles for sections and other subdivisions of the Code printed in the supplement, and make changes in such catchlines, headings and titles.
Assign appropriate numbers to sections and other subdivisions to be inserted in the Code and, where necessary to accommodate new material, change existing section or other subdivision numbers.
Change the words "this ordinance" or words of the same meaning to "this chapter," "this article," "this division," etc., as the case may be, or to "sections __________ to __________" (inserting section numbers to indicate the sections of the Code which embody the substantive sections of the ordinance incorporated into the Code).
Make other nonsubstantive changes necessary to preserve the original meaning of ordinance sections inserted into the Code; but in no case shall the codifier make any change in the meaning or effect of ordinance material included in the supplement or already embodied in the Code.
Unless another penalty is expressly provided by this Code for any particular provision or section, every person convicted of a violation of any provision of this Code, or any rule or regulation adopted or issued in pursuance thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not more than $500 and costs of prosecution or by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or by both such fine and imprisonment. Each act of violation and every day upon which any such violation shall occur shall constitute a separate offense.
The penalty shall be in addition to the abatement of the violating condition or any injunctive relief or the revocation of any permit or license.
This section shall not apply to the failure of officers and employees of the City to perform municipal duties required by this Code.
Notice regarding sidewalk repairs, sewer or water connections, dangerous structures, abating nuisances or any other act, the expense of which if performed by the City may be assessed against the premises under the provisions of this Code, shall be served:
By delivering the notice to the owner personally or by leaving such notice at his residence, office or place of business with some person of suitable age and discretion;
By mailing such notice by certified or registered mail to such owner at his last known address; or
If the owner is unknown, by posting the notice in some conspicuous place on the premises at least five days before the act or action concerning which the notice is given is required or is to occur.
No person shall interfere with, obstruct, mutilate, conceal or tear down any official notice or placard posted by any City officer, unless permission is given by the officer to remove the notice.
Whenever any act is prohibited by this Code, by an amendment thereof or by any rule or regulation adopted thereunder, such prohibition shall extend to and include the causing, securing, aiding or abetting of another person to do such act.
Amendments to any of the provisions of this Code shall be made by amending such provisions by specific reference to the section number of this Code in the following language: "That section __________ of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Corunna, Michigan, is hereby amended to read as follows:. . . ." The new provisions shall then be set out in full as desired, subject to Subsection (c) of this section.
If a new section not then existing in the Code is to be added, the following language shall be used: "That the Code of Ordinances of the City of Corunna, Michigan, is hereby amended by adding a section, to be numbered __________, which section reads as follows:. . . ." The new section shall then be set out in full as desired, subject to Subsection (c) of this section.
Any ordinance which repeals or amends this Code shall set out in full the sections or subsections to be repealed or amended and shall indicate matter to be omitted by enclosing it in brackets or by strikeout type and shall indicate new matter by underscoring or by italics.
It shall be unlawful for any person in the City to change or amend by additions or deletions any part or portion of this Code, or to insert or delete pages, or portions thereof, or to alter or tamper with such Code in any manner whatsoever which will cause the law of the City of Corunna to be misrepresented thereby.