[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township of Cranford as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
[Adopted by the Board of Health 10-17-1995 by Ord. No. 95-1 (Ch. 255, Art. I, of the 1992 Code)]
Any person who directly or indirectly, acting as agent or otherwise, sells, gives or furnishes to a minor under the age of 19 years any cigarettes made of tobacco or of any other matter or substance which can be smoked or any cigarette paper or tobacco in any form, including smokeless tobacco, shall be punished by a fine of $250.
It shall be the duty of the Health Department in cooperation with the Police Department to enforce the provisions of this article.
This article shall become effective January 1, 1996.
[Adopted by the Township Committee 6-24-2014 by Ord. No. 2014-12 (Ch. 256, Art. I, of the 1992 Code)]
The funds collected by licensing of such establishments shall be used to fund the Township of Cranford's Tobacco Age of Sale Enforcement Program and other smoking cessation, prevention or control programs.
For the purpose of this article, the following terms, phrases, words and their derivations shall have the meanings stated herein unless their use in the text of this article clearly demonstrates a different meaning. When not inconsistent with the context, words used in the present tense include the future, words used in the plural number shall include the singular number, and words used in the singular number include the plural number. The word "shall" is always mandatory and not merely directory.
- The Cranford Board of Health.
- ELECTRONIC SMOKING DEVICE
- An electronic or other powered device that can be used to deliver nicotine or other substances to the person inhaling from the device, including but not limited to an electronic cigarette, cigar, cigarillo, or pipe.
- RETAIL ELECTRONIC SMOKING DEVICE ESTABLISHMENT
- Any establishment that sells or offers for sale electronic smoking device products designed for consumption through inhalation.
- Every delivery of electronic smoking devices, whether the same is by direct sale or the solicitation or acceptance of an order, including the exchange, barter, traffic in, keeping and exposing for sale, displaying for sale, delivering for value, peddling and possessing with intent to sell.
No person shall conduct, maintain or operate an establishment that sells electronic smoking devices without first obtaining from this Board a license to do so.
Fees in accordance with the following schedule shall be paid before any license required in this article shall be issued:
Electronic smoking device establishment license: $200.
Licenses issued under the provisions of this article, unless forfeited or revoked by this Board, shall expire annually on the 31st day of December of each year.
No license is transferable by sale or otherwise.
Such license shall be posted in a conspicuous place in such establishment or, if an itinerant establishment, shall be readily available for display.
Any person(s) who is found to be in violation of the provisions of this article shall be subject to the following penalties. For any and every violation of any of the provisions of this article, the violator of said provision will be subject to a fine of not less than $100 and not more than $2,000. No fines shall be issued for 60 days after publication of this article.