[Ord. No. 1983]
The book shall be known and may be cited as "The Revised General Ordinances of the Township of Belleville, 1974," and is herein referred to as the "revision".
[Ord. No. 1983; Ord. No. 2523]
- Shall mean Council-Manager plan of the Optional Municipal Charter Laws, N.J.S. 40:69A-81 et seq., and all applicable provisions of the General Law.
- CLERK OR TOWNSHIP CLERK
- Shall mean the Municipal Clerk duly appointed pursuant to law.
- Shall mean the elected council members, including the Mayor and Deputy Mayor of the Township of Belleville.
- Shall mean an organization unit of the government established or designated by this ordinance as a department, and any agency or instrumentality of the government not allocated or assigned to such an organization unit.
- GENERAL LAW
- Shall mean statutes which are not inconsistent with the Charter and either (1) are by their terms applicable or available to all municipalities, or (2) relate to taxation, local courts, education, health, public authorities serving more than one municipality, and municipalities in an unsound financial condition.
- Shall mean licensed in accordance with the appropriate section or chapter of this revision.
- Shall mean the Township Manager appointed pursuant to the Charter, or any Deputy Manager or Acting Manager temporarily serving in place of a Manager, pursuant to Charter or ordinance.
- Shall mean a calendar month unless otherwise specifically provided.
- MUNICIPAL AND MUNICIPALITY
- Shall refer to the Township of Belleville in the County of Essex.
- Shall mean any act of local legislation heretofore or hereafter adopted, and including this revision, so long as it is adopted by the procedure required for the adoption of an ordinance and so long as it remains in force and effect pursuant to law.
- Shall mean any individual, natural persons, partnerships, joint ventures, societies, associations, clubs, trustees, trusts, corporations or unincorporated groups; or any officers, agents, employees, servants, factors or any kind of personal representatives of any thereof in any capacity, acting either for himself or for any other person under either personal appointment or pursuant to law.
- Shall include a street, avenue, road, alley, lane, highway, boulevard, concourse, driveway, culvert, sidewalk, and crosswalk, and every class of road, square, place or municipal parking field used by the general public.
- Shall mean the Township of Belleville in the County of Essex and State of New Jersey.
- WRITING AND WRITTEN
- Shall mean any visual mode of reproducing words or numbers on paper or similar material that is in general use.
- Shall mean a calendar year unless otherwise specifically provided.
For the purpose of this revision and other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require:
The present tense includes the past and future tenses and the future, the present.
The masculine gender includes the feminine and neuter.
The singular number includes the plural and the plural the singular.
"Shall" is mandatory and may is permissive.
The time within which an act is to be done shall be computed by excluding the first and including the last day and if the last day be a Sunday, a legal holiday, or a day on which the offices of the Township are closed, that day shall be excluded.
"Writing" and "written" shall include printing, typewriting and other mode of communication using paper or similar material which is in general use, as well as legible handwriting.
Whenever a specific time is used in this revision, it shall mean the prevailing and established time in effect in the State of New Jersey during any day in any year.
Any citation of a statute, law or ordinance contained in this revision shall be deemed to refer to such statute, law or ordinance as amended, whether or not such designation is included in the citation.
"Chapter" shall mean one of the major divisions of the revisions identified by Arabic numbers and divided by subject matter.
"Section" shall mean a major subdivision of a chapter.
"Subsection" shall mean a subdivision of a section, identified by a decimal number.
"Paragraph" shall mean a subdivision under a subsection, identified by an alphabetical letter or Arabic number.
[Ord. No. 1983]
If any chapter, section, subsection or paragraph of this revision shall be declared to be unconstitutional, invalid, or inoperative, in whole or in part, by a court of competent jurisdiction, such chapter, section, subsection or paragraph shall, to the extent that it is not unconstitutional, invalid or inoperative, remain in full force and effect, and no such determination shall be deemed to invalidate the remaining chapters, sections, subsections or paragraphs of this section.
[Ord. No. 2523]
It is the intent of the council in enacting this Code to exercise fully the powers delegated by the Charter to organize and regulate its internal affairs; and the provisions of the Code shall be construed liberally to that end.
The Code shall be interpreted and administered as to maintain the separation of legislative and administrative powers, as provided in the Charter.
The penalty provisions of certain ordinances of the Township of Belleville as set forth in Chapter 3 shall be amended to provide for penalties of a maximum fine of $500 or a maximum period of imprisonment of 90 days, or both, and where applicable that each day such violation is continued or which is permitted to continue shall constitute a separate offense. Where the ordinance does not provide for a penalty, the ordinance shall be amended to add a penalty provision as follows:
Any person violating any of the provisions of this chapter shall, upon conviction hereto, be subject to a fine not exceeding $500, and/or imprisonment of a term not exceeding 90 days, or both.