[Adopted 2-14-1990 by Ord. No. 893 as Secs. 1-2 and 1-3 of the 1988 Code]
For the purpose of this Code, and in the interpretation and application of all other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require:
- The Borough of Franklin Lakes in the County of Bergen and the State of New Jersey.
- BOROUGH COUNCIL or COUNCIL
- The governing body of the Borough, constituted and elected pursuant to law.
- CLERK or BOROUGH CLERK
- The Municipal Clerk duly appointed pursuant to law.
- An organizational unit of the Borough government established or designated by ordinance or this Code as a department, together with any agency or instrumentality of the Borough government assigned to such organizational unit by the Borough Council.
- DEPUTY BOROUGH CLERK
- The Municipal Clerk duly appointed pursuant to law to act in the absence or unavailability of the Borough Clerk.
- Licensed in accordance with the appropriate section or chapter of this Code.
- A calendar month unless otherwise specifically provided.
- Shall be construed to include an affirmation where an affirmation may be substituted for an oath. In such cases, the words "swear" and "sworn" shall be equivalent to the words "affirm" and "affirmed."
- OFFICER or OFFICIAL
- The title of an officer or official shall be construed as if the words "of the Borough of Franklin Lakes" followed it.
- Any act of local legislation heretofore or hereafter adopted, and including this Code, so long as it shall have been adopted by the procedure required for the adoption of an ordinance and so long as it shall remain in force and effect pursuant to law.
- Any part owner, joint owner, tenant in common, tenant in partnership, joint tenant or tenant by the entirety, of the whole or of a part of such building or land.
- Any individual, natural person, partnerships, joint ventures, societies, associations, clubs, trustees, trusts, corporations or unincorporated groups; or any officers, agents, employees, servants, factors or any kind of personal representatives of any thereof in any capacity, acting either for himself or for any other person, under either personal appointment or pursuant to law.
- PERSONAL PROPERTY
- Goods and chattels, rights and credits, moneys and effects, evidences of debt, and all written instruments by which any right to, interest in, or lien or encumbrances upon, property or any debt or financial obligation as created, acknowledged, evidenced, transferred, discharged or defeated, in whole or in part, and every thing, except real property as herein defined, which may be the subject of ownership.
- PRECEDING and FOLLOWING
- Next before and next after, respectively.
- Real and personal property.
- PUBLIC GROUNDS, PUBLIC SQUARES, PUBLIC PLACE or PUBLIC PLACES
- Shall severally be construed to mean any and every public ground, public square, public park or other public place within the Borough.
- REAL PROPERTY
- Includes lands, tenements and hereditaments, all rights thereto and interests therein.
- Includes any act or regulation of the Borough Council required to be reduced to writing, but which may be finally passed at the meeting at which it is introduced.
- Any portion of a street between the curbline and the adjacent property line, intended for the use of pedestrians, excluding parkways.
- Includes a street, avenue, road, alley, lane, highway, boulevard, concourse, driveway, culvert, sidewalk and crosswalk, and every class of road, square, place or municipal parking field used by the general public.
- TENANT or OCCUPANT
- Applied to a building or land, shall include any person who occupies the whole or a part of such buildings or lands, either alone or with others.
- Seven days.
- A calendar year unless otherwise specifically provided.
For the purpose of this Code and any other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require:
The present tense includes the past and future tenses and the future, the present.
The masculine gender includes the feminine and neuter.
The singular number includes the plural and the plural, the singular.
"Shall" is mandatory and "may" is permissive.
The time within which an act is to be done shall be computed by excluding the first and including the last day and if the last day be a Sunday, or a legal holiday, that day shall be excluded.
"Writing" and "written" shall include printing, typewriting and any other mode of communication using paper to similar material which is in general use, as well as legible handwriting.
Any citation of a statute, law or ordinance contained in this Code shall be deemed to refer to such statute, law or ordinance as amended, whether or not such designation is included in the citation.