[Adopted 9-7-1967 as §§ 1-2 and 1-3 of the Revised General Ordinances]
For the purpose of the Code of the City of Trenton, and in the interpretation and application of all other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- The City of Trenton in the County of Mercer and State of New Jersey.
- CITY COUNCIL or COUNCIL
- The governing body of the City constituted and elected pursuant to law.
- CLERK or CITY CLERK
- The Municipal Clerk duly appointed pursuant to law.
- An organization unit of the City government established or designated by ordinance or this Code as a department, together with any agency or instrumentality of the City government assigned to such organization unit by the City Council.
- Licensed in accordance with the appropriate section or chapter of the Code.
- A calendar month unless otherwise specifically provided.
- Any act of local legislation heretofore or hereafter adopted, and including this Code, so long as it shall have been adopted by the procedure required for the adoption of an ordinance and so long as it shall remain in force and effect pursuant to law.
- Any individual, natural persons, partnerships, joint ventures, societies, associations, clubs, trustees, trusts, corporations or unincorporated groups; or any officers, agents, employees, servants, factors or any kind of personal representatives of any thereof in any capacity, acting either for himself or for any other person, under either personal appointment or pursuant to law.
- Includes a street, avenue, road, alley, lane, highway, boulevard, concourse, driveway, culvert, sidewalk and crosswalk, and every class of road, square, place or municipal parking field used by the general public.
- A calendar year unless otherwise specifically provided.
For the purpose of this Code and any other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require, the following shall apply:
The present tense includes the past and future tenses and the future, the present.
The masculine gender includes the feminine and neuter.
The singular number includes the plural and the plural, the singular.
"Shall" is mandatory and "may" is permissive.
The time within which an act is to be done shall be computed by excluding the first and including the last day and if the last day be a Sunday or a legal holiday, that day shall be excluded.
"Writing" and "written" shall include printing, typewriting and any other mode of communication using paper or similar material which is in general use, as well as legible handwriting.