[Adopted 7-17-1995 as L.L. No. 4-1995]
This Article shall be known as the "Refuse Disposal Law of the Town of New Berlin."
This Article is adopted for the purpose of promoting the health, safety and general welfare of the people of the Town of New Berlin, including the protection and preservation of property of the town and its inhabitants in all matters related thereto, by controlling the storage, collection and disposal of refuse within the Town of New Berlin.
As used in this Article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- All decayable wastes, except sewage and body wastes, including vegetable and animal offal and carcasses of dead animals, and shall include all such substances accumulated on or removed from all public and private establishments and properties, including residences.
- Any individual, firm, partnership, company, corporation, association, society or group.
- Includes rubbish, garbage and trash and any other similar materials.
- REFUSE COLLECTOR
- Includes any person, firm, corporation or other legal entity carrying on the business of receiving, collecting, transporting or disposing of garbage, rubbish, trash or other wastes for hire and/or salvage within the Town of New Berlin.
- General, dry materials produced routinely by household, commercial or industrial establishments, such as paper, cans, bottles and other containers and ashes and any other similar materials.
- Includes brushes, branches, Christmas trees, lawn rakings and similar waste materials, bulky objects, such as discarded household appliances or equipment or furniture, and building demolition and construction wastes.
Every owner, lessee or occupant of any building, premises or place of business within the Town of New Berlin shall provide or cause to be provided at all times suitable and sufficient receptacles for receiving and containing garbage, rubbish or refuse that may accumulate or be used upon said premises.
The owner or occupant of the real property shall be responsible for the regular collection and/or disposal of all refuse which may accumulate on the property owned or occupied by him.
No person shall accumulate or permit the accumulation of refuse on any premises owned by him within the Town of New Berlin, except for the purpose of collection, which shall normally occur at intervals not less frequent than seven days.
Nothing herein contained shall be construed to prohibit the maintenance of compost or mulch piles, provided that no garbage shall be deposited in such piles, and further provided that such compost or mulch piles do not develop obnoxious odors, attract rodents or otherwise create a hazard to the health or enjoyment of neighboring property owners.
No person shall throw, deposit, burn or cause to be thrown, deposited or burned any refuse, garbage, trash, rubbish or leaves in or upon any public highway, street or place, including drainage ditches, or any other property not owned by said person within the Town of New Berlin except on premises owned and operated by the Chenango County Refuse District and, in that event, only at such times and in such manner as the regulations of said district may from time to time provide.
No person shall transport in any unenclosed vehicle any trash, rubbish or refuse unless the same is placed in securely covered containers.
A refuse collector shall include any person, firm, corporation or other legal entity carrying on the business of receiving, collecting, transporting or disposing of garbage, rubbish, trash or other wastes for hire and/or salvage within the Town of New Berlin.
It shall be the responsibility of the Town Board or its duly authorized agents to enforce the provisions of this Article.
Any person who violates this Article shall be guilty of an offense and subject to a fine of not more than $100 or imprisonment for not more than 15 days, or both.