[HISTORY: Adopted by the Mayor and Council of the Township of Clinton 7-14-2004 by Ord. No. 855-04. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Editor's Note: This ordinance originally was adopted as Ch. 170, but was renumbered to maintain the alphabetical sequence of the Code.
The purpose of this chapter is to safeguard against invasions of privacy by prohibiting the use of electronic devices throughout certain locations within public buildings and facilities.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- AUDIO EQUIPMENT
- Any device that can record a noise, communication or sound.
- EDUCATIONAL BUILDING
- Any physical location rented, leased or owned by an entity governed by N.J.S.A. 18A:1-1 et seq.
- ELECTRONIC DEVICE
- Any device that requires a battery, rechargeable battery or electrical wire to connect to an outlet that provides electricity.
- MUNICIPAL BUILDING
- Any physical location rented, leased or owned by a political subdivision of the State of New Jersey.
- A park, reservation, playground, swimming pool, recreation center or any other public area in the Township owned or used by the Township and devoted to active or passive recreation.
- PHOTOGRAPHIC EQUIPMENT
- Any device that can record an image, likeness, or representation.
- WIRELESS COMMUNICATION DEVICE
- Any device utilizing radio signals or electronically generated transmissions for the purpose of one-way or two-way communication.
The use of a wireless communication device, photographic equipment, digital equipment or other electronic device utilized to acquire, capture or generate a photographic image or audio recording is prohibited within the locations defined in § 122-4.
Prohibited locations shall include restrooms within both educational buildings and municipal buildings, whether the areas are open to the public or not, or areas of such buildings which are utilized for disrobing, showering, and changing attire.
A law enforcement official performing an investigation of any criminal activity shall be excluded from the provisions of this chapter.
Any person violating the provisions of this chapter shall, upon conviction, be liable to the penalty stated in § 1-17 of this codification.