City of Watertown, NY
Jefferson County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
[HISTORY: Adopted by the City Council of the City of Watertown 7-18-1977; amended in its entirety 10-6-2014. Subsequent amendments noted where applicable.]
Parks, playgrounds and recreational areas — See Ch. 216.
Consumption of alcoholic beverages in public places within the boundaries of the City of Watertown is prohibited unless such consumption takes place in duly licensed commercial premises which are licensed by the State of New York for the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages or unless such consumption is pursuant to a duly authorized permit of the City of Watertown. A "public place" is defined as property, either publicly or privately owned, which is used by the public for the normal transaction of everyday business or which is held open to the public for its use.
The City of Watertown shall control the issuance of permits to allow consumption of alcoholic beverages as follows:
The Parks and Recreation Department or Police Department may issue a permit to consume alcoholic beverages in the following parks and recreational areas:
Bicentennial Park
Factory Square Park
John C. Thompson Park
Marble Street Park
Veterans' Memorial Riverwalk
Waterworks Park
Whitewater Park
Pavilion in J. B. Wise Parking Lot
Consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited in all other parks, playgrounds and recreational areas, which are enumerated in Chapter 216.
The Police Department may issue a permit to consume alcoholic beverages in all other public places.
The possession of an open container of any form of intoxicating beverage shall be prima facie evidence of such consumption.
The City Council may waive the requirement to obtain a permit to consume alcohol for community events.
Any person, firm or corporation violating any provision of this chapter shall, upon conviction, be subject to a fine of not less than $50 nor more than $250. Each day of a continued violation is a separate and distinct offense.