[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Village of Greene: Art. I, 12-11-1972 by L.L. No. 1-1973. Amendments noted where applicable.]
[Adopted 12-11-1972 by L.L. No. 1-1973]
This chapter shall be known as the "Refuse Disposal Law of the Village of Greene."
This chapter is adopted for the purpose of promoting the health, safety and general welfare of the people of the Village of Greene, including the protection and preservation of property of the Village and its inhabitants in all matters related thereto by controlling the storage, collection and disposal of refuse within the Village of Greene.
As used in this Article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- All decayable wastes, except sewage, and body wastes, including vegetable and animal offal and carcassses of dead animals, and shall include all such substances accumulated on or removed from all public and private establishments and properties, including residences.
- Any individual, firm, partnership, company, corporation, association, society or group.
- Includes rubbish, garbage and trash, and any other similar materials.
- REFUSE COLLECTOR
- Includes any person, firm, corporation or other legal entity carrying on the business of receiving, collecting, transporting or disposing of garbage, rubbish, trash or other wastes for hire and/or salvage within the Village of Greene.
- General, dry materials produced routinely by household, commercial or industrial establishments, such as paper, cans, bottles and other containers and ashes, and any other similar materials.
- Include brushes, branches, Christmas trees, lawn rakings, similar waste materials, bulky objects, such as discarded household appliances, equipment or furniture, building demolition and construction wastes.
Every owner, lessee or occupant of any building, premises or place of business within the Village of Greene shall provide or cause to be provided at all times suitable and sufficient receptables for receiving and containing garbage, rubbish or refuse that may accumulate or be used upon said premises.
The owner or occupant of the real property shall be responsible for the regular collection and/or disposal of all refuse which may accumulate on the property owned or occupied by him.
No person shall accumulate or permit the accumulation of refuse on any premises owned by him within the Village of Greene, except for the purpose of collection, which shall normally occur at intervals not less frequent than seven days.
Nothing herein contained shall be construed to prohibit the maintenance of compost or mulch piles, provided that no garbage is deposited in such piles; and further provided that such compost or mulch piles do not develop obnoxious odors, attract rodents or otherwise create a hazard to the health or enjoyment of neighboring property owners.
No person shall throw, deposit, burn or cause to be thrown, deposited or burned any refuse, garbage, trash, rubbish or leaves in or upon any public highway, street or place, including drainage ditches, or any other property within the Village of Greene, except on premises owned and operated by Chenango County Refuse District No. 1, and in that event, only at such times and in such manner as the regulations of said District may from time to time provide.
No person shall transport in any unenclosed vehicle any trash, rubbish or refuse unless the same are placed in securely covered containers.
It shall be the responsibility of the Village Board or its duly authorized agents to enforce the provisions of this chapter.