[Adopted 10-4-2004 by L.L. No. 4-2004]
The purpose and intent of this article shall be to preserve the public peace of the Village and to contribute to the public welfare and the preservation and protection of property and the inhabitants. Any cat running at large in violation of the provisions of this article is declared to be a public nuisance and shall be dealt with pursuant to this article.
As used in this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- KEEP OR HARBOR
- Habitually permitting to remain or to be lodged or to be fed within the house, store, yard, enclosure or other place.
- Any person or persons, firm, association, or corporation owning, keeping, harboring, having charge, custody or control of a cat.
- Any person or persons, firm, association, or corporation owning, keeping or harboring a cat.
- PARENTS LIABILITY
- The parent or guardian of any minor claiming ownership of any cat shall be deemed to be the owner of such animal and shall be charged with penalties of any violation of this article.
- RUNNING AT LARGE
- Shall mean off the premises of the owner and not under control of the owner or a member of his or her immediate family.
"Cat" shall apply to both male and female.
It shall be unlawful for any owner to permit or allow any cat to:
All owners shall keep the quarters where cats are kept clean, sanitary and such as not to create a health hazard or nuisance to either the cat or human.
No owner shall possess more than five cats over the age of two months.
The Schuyler County Sheriff and/or New York State Police shall enforce this article and are given the authority to enforce the provisions of this article by issuance of a summons or appearance ticket. This article shall also be enforced by any other agency designated by the Village of Montour Falls.
A violation of this article shall be deemed an offense, and a person convicted of any violation shall be liable to pay a fine of not more than $250 together with the cost of any property damaged, injured, or destroyed. Should the Village of Montour Falls authorize any other agency to enforce these provisions, the owner shall also be liable for any fees requested by the agency.