[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Supervisors of the Township of Lehigh as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
[Adopted 6-12-2007 by Ord. No. 2007-5]
As used in this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- OFFICIAL SIGN
- A sign placed or erected by the United States, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the County of Northampton, the Township of Lehigh, or other legally constituted governmental body, or required by law or order of court, or specifically authorized by a Township ordinance or resolution, for official governmental purposes.
- POLLING PLACE ELECTION SIGN
- A sign directly related to a candidate for public elected office or an issue, which is before the public electorate at an election conducted under the authority of the Pennsylvania Election Code, on Township property which has been designated as a polling place by the Northampton County Board of Elections.
- Any device for visual communications, that is used for the purpose of bringing the subject thereof to the attention of the public.
- TOWNSHIP PROPERTY
- Real estate owned by Lehigh Township, but not including Township street rights-of-way not directly abutting real estate owned by Lehigh Township.
The provisions of § 130-2 shall not apply to:
An official sign; or
Any person physically carrying a sign at any time as an expression of such person's right of freedom of speech; or
A polling place election sign which is erected not earlier than 8:00 p.m. on the day prior to the date of the election and removed not later than 8:00 p.m. on the date following the date of the election.
Any political sign placed on private property shall be removed by the candidate within 21 days after the preceding election.
Any person or entity who violates or permits a violation of this article shall, upon conviction in a summary proceeding brought before a District Justice under the Pennsylvania Rules of Criminal Procedure, be guilty of a summary offense and shall be punishable by a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $1,000, plus costs of prosecution. In default of payment thereof, the defendant may be sentenced to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 90 days. Each day or portion thereof that such violation continues or is permitted to continue shall constitute a separate offense, and each section of this article that is violated shall also constitute a separate offense.
In addition to the above remedies, the Township may institute, in the name of the municipality, any appropriate action or proceeding to prevent, restrain, correct or abate violations of the provisions of this article.