[HISTORY: Adopted by the Borough Council of the Borough of Northampton as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
[Adopted 11-1-2007 by Ord. No. 1154]
This article may commonly be referred to as the "Borough of Northampton Tobacco Ordinance."
As used in this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- A street or highway intended to provide access to the rear or side of lots of buildings and not intended for the purpose of through vehicular traffic.
- The entire width between the boundary lines of every way publicly maintained when any part thereof is open to the use of the public for the purpose of vehicular travel. The term includes a roadway open to the use of the public for vehicular travel on grounds of a public or private school or public or historical park.
- The portion of the highway improved, designed or ordinarily used for vehicular travel, exclusive of the sidewalk, berm or shoulder.
- The portion of a street between curblines, or the lateral lines of a roadway, and the adjacent property lines, intended for use by pedestrians.
- A lighted or unlighted cigarette, cigar, pipe, or other lighted smoking product and smokeless tobacco in any form.
- The entire width between property lines or other boundary lines of every way or place of which any part is open to the public for purposes of vehicular travel as a matter of right or custom.
It shall be unlawful for any minor under the age of 18 years to use or possess tobacco, in any form, within the Borough of Northampton, on any Borough-owned property, on any public street, highway, trafficway, alley, or sidewalk.
[Amended 3-19-2009 by Ord. No. 1165]
Any minor who violates this article shall be issued a ticket with a cost of $10 to pay within 24 hours of the offense.
If the ticket is not paid within said twenty-four-hour period, a fine of $20 must be paid within 10 days from the date of the offense.
If the ticket has not paid within 10 days from the date of the offense, then the Police Officer will issue a summary citation with a maximum fine of $300.
The above-mentioned tickets should be paid at the Borough Police Station, located at 1401 Laubach Avenue, Northampton, Pennsylvania. In the event a summary citation is issued by a Police Officer pursuant to Subsection C, it shall be processed through the Magisterial District Court No. 03-2-07, who shall collect any fines and costs.