[R.O. 2008 §225.010; Ord. No. 2257, 1-12-2004]
The provisions of this Chapter shall govern the construction, alteration, repair and maintenance of all signs and advertising devices within the City of Olivette. However, where more restrictive in respect to location, use, size or height of signs and outdoor display structures, the limitations of the zoning ordinance affecting required light and ventilation requirements and use of land shall take precedence over the restrictions of these provisions.
[R.O. 2008 §225.020; Ord. No. 2257, 10-12-2004]
For purposes of this Chapter, the following terms shall be defined as follows:
- "A" FRAME SIGN
- An "A" frame or sandwich board which is placed on the sidewalk or curb.
- ADVERTISING MEDIA
- Any banner, pennant, streamer, tent, balloon, ramp, wind-operated mechanism, flashing lights and any other type of fluttering or flashing device or person or animal used for attracting attention.
- ADVERTISING MESSAGE
- Copy on a commercial sign describing products, locations or services being offered to the public.
- Any structure entirely supported by the wall to which it is attached and which has a frame covered by canvas, cloth or other similar temporary material and which can be retracted or rolled or in any other manner moved to the structure by which it is supported.
- (Cold or forced air) an envelope of material which, regardless of shape, when filled with or is in constant process of being filled with normal atmosphere (referred to herein as "cold air balloon") billows to a point of stretching the envelope to its fullest extension and causing the envelope to provide moderate retention of the cold air forced into it.
- A temporary paper, plastic or cloth device hung to attract attention to a business or special event.
- Any structure or portion thereof upon which advertising is placed, painted or printed, advertising or directing a person to a thing, activity, goods, service or product not located or sold or offered on the lot upon which the billboard is located. This includes billboards, detached pole signs on separate parcels, wall signs and signs otherwise attached to buildings or supported by uprights or braces of any type on the ground.
- BUILDING OFFICIAL
- The Director of Public Services for the City of Olivette or designee.
- Any structure, other than an awning, attached to a building at the inner end or support on the outer end.
- The City of Olivette, Missouri.
- To build, construct, attach, hang, rehang, place, affix or relocate, including the painting and repainting of permanent window signs.
- FLAGS, DECORATIVE GARDEN
- Any decorative flag designed to be placed in the yard of a residence showing only a decorative picture and not conveying any particular message or support for a cause.
- FLAGS, GOVERNMENTAL
- Any official flag of the United States, the State of Missouri, the County of St. Louis, the City of Olivette or any other legitimate governmental entity such as a school district or fire district.
- FLAGS, TRADEMARK
- Any flag which displays only a registered trademark, logo, corporate name or any combination of the former three (3) and no other wording or display of any kind shall be considered a trademark flag.
- Any symbol, trademark, insignia, letter or design that is intended to provide an abbreviated form of identification for a business or product.
- A platted parcel of land regardless of whether the parcel is improved or occupied.
- Any permanent roof-like structure projecting beyond a building face generally constructed of durable materials such as metal, glass or plastic.
- Any natural person, firm, partnership, association, corporation, company or organization of any kind.
- Any letter, figure, design, symbol, trademark, panel, device, structure, identification, description, illustration, symbol or statue designed or intended to convey information to the public in written or pictorial form and be visible from the outside of a location. This term includes, but is not limited to, any of the following: awning, banner, billboard, canopy, flags, marquee, advertising sign, attached sign, business sign, construction sign, directional sign, flashing sign, fluttering sign, ground sign, hanging sign, identification sign, illuminated sign, government signs, memorial signs, tablets, moving sign, permanent sign, political sign, campaign sign, pole sign, monument sign, portable sign, projecting sign, real estate sign, roof sign, subdivision sign, temporary sign, wall sign, window sign, special displays, standard outdoor advertising structure, time and weather information and street clock or balloon.
- SIGN - ANIMATED
- An announcement directing attention toward a business product, commodity, service or entertainment by means of a banner, pennant, streamer, tent, balloon, wind-operated mechanism, flashing lights or any other type of fluttering or flashing device or person or animal used for attracting attention.
- SIGN AREA
- The area of a sign face. The "sign area" of a multi-faced sign is the sum of the sign area of each face, including structural trim which displays or upon which is displayed any message, name or symbol of any kind for the purpose of advertising, announcing, directing or attracting attention from persons located outside of a building. If a sign is attached to a building or suspended in any manner, whereby there is no apparent trim or confining border, the sign area shall be computed by drawing an imaginary straight line around a generally rectangular margin and measuring the area so encompassed by these lines.
- SIGN - ATTACHED
- A wall sign or projecting sign attached to a building wall or the generally vertical of a mansard type roof.
- SIGN - BUSINESS
- A sign indicating the name of a company, product, service or entertainment offered on the premises, including price information.
- SIGN - CAMPAIGN
- Any sign which is linked to or shows support for a particular candidate or a particular ballot question which is currently scheduled to appear on the ballot during a particular election. This term shall not include any commercial or non-commercial sign, as those terms are defined in this Chapter, and shall not include any sign which contains a message or shows support for a cause which is not linked to a particular candidate or a particular ballot currently scheduled to appear on the ballot during a particular election.
- SIGN - CAUSE OR MESSAGE
- These terms are synonymous with "non-commercial sign".
- SIGN - COMMERCIAL
- Any sign containing an advertising message describing products, locations or services being offered to the public.
- SIGN - CONSTRUCTION
- A temporary sign used during construction of new buildings or reconstruction of or additions to existing buildings, such as those identifying the project and denoting the owner, architect, engineer, contractor and financing institution of the project or any combination of those entities so named herein.
- SIGN - DIRECTIONAL
- A sign which indicates a direction for vehicular or pedestrian traffic or other movement.
- SIGN - DIRECTORY
- An occupational or identification sign containing at least one (1) name within a single sign and directing vehicular or pedestrian traffic to a particular location.
- SIGN - ELECTION
- This term shall be synonymous with campaign sign.
- SIGN FACING AND SURFACE
- Any surface of a sign upon, against or through which the sign message is displayed for the purpose of advertising, announcing, directing or attracting attention from persons located outside of a building, provided that the ends (or thickness) of a sign shall not be counted as a separate sign face unless a message is conveyed thereon.
- SIGN - FLASHING
- An illuminated sign on which artificial or reflected light is not steady or on which letters, characters or colors change, including searchlights.
- SIGN - FLUTTERING
- A sign which flutters or is made of flexible materials which moves with the wind or by some other artificial means including, but not limited to, pennants, banners, balloons, whirligigs, streamers and flags.
- SIGN - GARAGE SALE
- A sign posted on a residential lot on which the garage sale is to be held.
- SIGN - HANGING
- Any sign hanging entirely beneath a canopy, portico or marquee.
- SIGN - ILLUMINATED
- Any sign which is illuminated by light sources mounted on or in the sign or at some other location.
- SIGN - INSTITUTIONAL OR GOVERNMENT
- A sign identifying a not-for-profit, eleemosynary institution or government facility.
- SIGN - MARQUEE, CANOPY AND AWNING
- A sign attached to or illustrated on the generally vertical plane of a marquee, canopy or awning, respectively. These are considered to be wall signs.
- SIGN - MEMORIAL OR TABLE
- The permanent part of a building which denotes the name of the building, date of erection, historical significance, dedication or other similar information.
- SIGN - MONUMENT
- A low, permanent structure located on the same lot or parcel
as the use it advertises, and having a support structure that is a
solid-appearing base constructed of a permanent material, such as
concrete block or brick. All other freestanding sign types not meeting
the definition of a monument sign shall be considered pole signs.
See Figure A: Monument Sign.[Ord. No. 2500 §§1–2, 9-10-2013]
- SIGN - NON-COMMERCIAL
- Any sign which contains a personal message or shows support for or identifies a cause or organization. This term shall not include commercial signs or campaign signs.
- SIGN NON-CONFORMING
- Any sign, permanently affixed to the ground or to a building with concrete or metal devices, which was lawfully erected and maintained prior to such time as it came within the purview of this Code and any amendments thereto and which fails to conform to all applicable regulations and restrictions of this Chapter. Signs which are not designed to be permanently affixed to the ground or to a building shall not be considered as non-conforming signs.
- SIGN - PERMANENT
- A sign firmly attached to the ground, wall or other portion of a building and not designed or intended to be readily removed or relocated.
- SIGN - POLE
- Any detached sign located on the same lot or parcel as the use it advertises which is supported by one (1) or more stationary poles longer than two (2) feet above the mean grade line of the ground at its base not to exceed an overall height of twenty (20) feet above said grade. This term shall not include non-commercial signs, campaign signs or real estate signs.
- SIGN - POLITICAL
- This term shall be synonymous with campaign sign.
- SIGN - PORTABLE
- A sign that is not permanently affixed to a building, structure or ground and that may be readily moved or relocated. This includes signs placed on trucks, trailers or other transportable devices (other than identification of owner or lessee of said truck or trailer or other transportable devices and other owner information required by the United States Department of Transportation or the Missouri Department of Transportation).
- SIGN - PROJECTING
- Any sign which projects more than eighteen (18) inches beyond the plane of the wall on which the sign is erected or attached.
- SIGN - REAL ESTATE
- A sign pertaining only to the prospective rental, lease or sale of the real property on which it is located.
- SIGN - ROOF
- Any sign erected on a roof but excluding marquee and canopy signs and excluding wall or projecting signs which do not project greater than two (2) feet above a parapet wall. The generally vertical plane of a mansard type roof shall be interpreted as the same as a wall of a building.
- SIGN STRUCTURE
- The sign face, supports and all other parts associated with its construction.
- SIGN - SUBDIVISION
- A monument sign identifying a subdivision entry, subdivision name or street names within the subdivision or combination thereof.
- SIGN SUPPORTS
- All structures by which a sign is held up, including, for example, poles, braces, guys and anchors.
- SIGN - TEMPORARY
- Any sign intended for a limited or intermittent period of display.
- SIGN - VEHICULAR
- Any sign permanently affixed or temporarily placed on or in or attached to a vehicle by magnetic or self-adhesive means.
- SIGN - WALL
- A sign erected or attached against the wall of any building with the plane of the face parallel to the plane of the wall below the roof line. Any wall sign projecting more than eighteen (18) inches from the wall shall be considered as a "projecting sign".
- SIGN - WINDOW, PERMANENT
- A sign that is permanently affixed to either side of the glass of an exterior door or window. A sign will be deemed permanent if the only change in that sign is the price, regardless of the fact that the entire sign may be of different size, shape, color or other factor.
- SIGN - WINDOW, TEMPORARY
- Window signs of less than thirty (30) days' duration, with no two (2) thirty (30) day time periods running consecutively, up to thirty percent (30%) of the window area.
- SPECIAL DISPLAYS
- Signs not exceeding twenty-four (24) square feet, used for holidays, public demonstrations or other temporary purposes.
- STRUCTURAL TRIM
- The molding, battens, cappings, nailings, strips, latticing and platforms which are attached to the sign structure.
- ZONING ORDINANCE
- The zoning ordinances and maps of the City of Olivette, Missouri.
[R.O. 2008 §225.030; Ord. No. 2257, 10-12-2004]
Legal Non-Conforming. Any sign located within the City limits on the date of adoption of this Code or located in an area annexed to the City thereafter, which does not conform with the provisions of this Code, is eligible for characterization as a legal non-conforming sign, if the sign is a permanent sign, incapable of being moved and was in compliance with applicable law on the date of adoption of this Code.
Loss Of Legal Non-Conforming Status. A legal non-conforming sign shall immediately lose its legal non-conforming designation if:
The sign is altered in any way in structure, which tends to or makes the sign less in compliance with the requirements of this Code than it was before the alteration;
The sign structure is relocated to a position making it less in compliance with the requirements of this Code;
The sign structure is altered or enlarged so as to prolong the sign's useful life or to enlarge the sign face or supports; or
The sign is replaced.
Legal Non-Conforming Sign Maintenance And Repair. Nothing in this Section shall relieve the owner or user of a legal non-conforming sign or owner of the property on which the legal non-conforming sign is located from the provisions of this Code regarding safety, maintenance and repair of signs contained in this Code, provided however, that any repainting, cleaning and other normal maintenance or repair of the sign structure shall not modify the sign structure in any way which makes it more non-conforming.
Removal Of Legal Non-Conforming Signs. All roof signs not permitted under this new Chapter shall be removed within one (1) year from the adoption hereof. All other legal non-conforming signs shall be brought into compliance with the provisions of this Chapter within eight (8) years after its adoption.