[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Meeting of the Town of Mansfield 5-19-2015 ATM by Art. 21. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Article I Recycling
Article II Littering
In order to implement a program of recycling in conjunction with ordinary waste collections, residents of every household whose trash is collected by the Town or its agent shall separate waste materials into the following categories before depositing same for collection:
The recyclables of glass, cans, and paper shall be deposited in containers supplied for this purpose. All such recyclables shall become the property of the Town. The recyclables collected by the Town shall be transported to and disposed of at a materials recovery facility.
The Board of Selectmen, with approval of the Board of Health, shall negotiate a contract with the materials recovery facility which is economically acceptable. This bylaw shall not take effect until a materials recovery facility commences operation and shall then take effect within six months after the facility commences operation.
Any person violating any provision of this bylaw or the regulations enacted hereunder shall be fined not more than $50 for each offense.
This bylaw and the various parts, sentences, sections and clauses thereof are hereby declared to be severable. If any part, sentence, section or clause is adjudged invalid, it is hereby provided that the remainder of this bylaw shall not be affected thereby.
For the purpose of this bylaw, the following terms, phrases, words, and their derivations shall have the meanings given herein. When not inconsistent with the context, words used in the present tense include the future, words used in the plural number include the singular number, and words used in the singular number includes the plural number. The word "shall" is always mandatory and not merely directory.
- Animal and vegetable wastes resulting from the handling, preparation, cooking and consumption of food.
- "Garbage," "refuse," and "rubbish" as defined herein and all other waste material which, if thrown or deposited as herein prohibited, tends to create a danger to public health, safety, and welfare and an offense to the use and enjoyment of the environment.
- PRIVATE PREMISES
- Any dwelling, house, building, or other structure, designed or used either wholly or in part for private residential purposes, whether inhabited or temporarily or continuously uninhabited or vacant, and shall include any yard, grounds, walk, driveway, porch, steps, vestibule or mailbox belonging or appurtenant to such dwelling, house, building or other structure.
- PUBLIC PLACE
- Any and all streets, sidewalks, boulevards, alleys or other public ways or ways to which the public has a right of access and any and all public or Town parks, commons, squares, spaces, grounds and buildings.
- All solid wastes, including garbage, rubbish, ashes, trash bags, dead animals, abandoned boats, automobiles, trucks, or tires, and solid market and industrial wastes.
- Solid wastes consisting of both combustible and noncombustible wastes, such as paper, newspaper, wrappings, cigarettes, cardboard, tin cans, stumps, yard clippings, branches, leaves, wood, glass, bedding, crockery, bottles and similar materials.
No person shall throw or deposit litter in or upon any street, sidewalk, conservation land, school property, park or other public places within the limits of the Town except in public receptacles, in private receptacles for collection, if authorized, or in official Town of Mansfield designated disposal areas.
No person shall throw or deposit litter on any occupied private property within the Town, whether owned by such person or not, except that the owner or person in control of private property may maintain authorized private receptacles or structures for collection in such a manner that litter will be prevented from being carried by the elements or deposited upon any street, sidewalk or other public place or upon any private property.
No person shall throw or deposit litter on any open or vacant property within the Town, whether owned by such person or not, unless duly licensed by the Board of Health under applicable provisions of the General Laws of the commonwealth or bylaws of the Town of Mansfield.
No person shall throw or deposit litter into or upon any pond, lake, stream, river, fountain, swamp, or any wetland as defined in the Massachusetts General Laws, or within any watershed or water protection area, located within the limits of Mansfield.
No person, while an operator or passenger in a vehicle, shall throw, cause to be thrown, or deposit litter upon any street or along the side of any street or other public place within the Town, or upon private property, whether populated, unpopulated, or a wooded area.
No person shall drive or move any truck or other vehicle within the Town unless such vehicle is so constructed, covered, or loaded so as to prevent any load, contents or litter from being blown or deposited upon any street, alley or other public or private place; and all such vehicles, when so required, shall be duly licensed according to the provisions of the General Laws of the commonwealth and the rules, regulations, and bylaws of the Town of Mansfield.
No person in any aircraft shall throw out, drop, or deposit any litter within the limits of the Town.
No person shall throw, sweep or deposit into any gutter, street, roadside or other public place within the Town of Mansfield the accumulation of litter from any buildings or lot or from any public or private sidewalk or drive.
Any person violating any of the provisions of this bylaw shall be deemed to have committed a misdemeanor and upon prosecution and conviction thereof shall be fined in an amount not exceeding $100. Each day such violation is committed or permitted to continue shall constitute a separate offense and shall be punishable as such hereunder, or as otherwise may be provided in the General Laws of the commonwealth.