[HISTORY: Adopted by the Council of the City of New Rochelle 9-17-2014 by Ord. No. 145-2014. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Fees — See Ch. 133.
The purpose of this chapter is to provide for and establish an annual registration program to promote and protect the health, safety and welfare of the business community and individual citizens of the City of New Rochelle ("City"). As set forth herein, each business subject to this chapter will be required to submit to the City information regarding the business and to pay an annual registration fee. The fee is solely to help pay for the City's administration, coordination and implementation of the program.
The information collected will assist the City in accomplishing the following:
Creating a business directory to promote local businesses and the services/products provided.
Providing contact information in the event of an emergency.
Providing notification of community events, seminars, etc.
Encouraging tourism to New Rochelle.
A better understanding of the business community demography.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- BUSINESS MANAGER
- A person with administrative authority over the business.
- Any property, site or place within the City Of New Rochelle that is authorized for such use (whether as a matter of right, upon the issuance of a special use permit, or otherwise).
- REGISTER or REGISTRATION
- The submission to the City of a fully completed registration form.
- REGISTRATION FORM
- An online application to be completed by a business and pertaining solely to the business and its location in the City, including but not limited to the business's legal name, assumed name, telephone number, fax number, e-mail address, street address, the name and telephone number of a person at the business to contact in the event of an emergency, the number of persons employed or otherwise working (whether full time or part time) at the business, the type of business being conducted, and such other related information as the City Manager may require.
- RETAIL BUSINESS
- Any retail commercial operation or occupation, of any kind, including, without limitation, any sole proprietorship, partnership, limited partnership, joint venture, association, corporation, limited liability company, franchisee, cooperative, or any other entity recognized by law that owns, leases, or occupies any premises in the City, and is engaged in the sale of goods or services that are subject to New York state sales tax. For the purposes of this section, the registration requirement shall include the retail store component of any not-for-profit entity.
All retail businesses within the City on January 1 of each year, beginning with the passing of this chapter, shall register with the City. Registration must be completed no later than 30 days following January 1 of each year.
Registration is valid only for the year in which it is issued and will expire at the end of the registration year. A new registration is required each year.
A retail business that commences its initial operation within the City after January 1 shall register. Such registration shall be completed no later than 30 days after business operations commence.
Any retail business conducting, operating, or engaging in any business within the City of New Rochelle shall file a completed online business registration application with the City.
The retail business registration form for each business applying shall contain the following information and any other information deemed necessary by the City Manager:
Indication of filing: New, Renewal, Change of Owner, Change of Address, or Change of Name.
Business Name or d/b/a.
Business Phone and Fax number.
Business e-mail address.
Corporation name if different than Business name.
Type of Business: Individual, Partnership, LLC, Corporation, Nonprofit.
Description of business.
Employer Identification Number (EIN).
Proof of authorization to do business in New York State.
Proof of insurance.
North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code.
Square Footage of business.
Number of employees: Full-time, Part-time.
Days and hours of operation.
Is there a security alarm system? Is it registered with NRPD?
Is there a fire alarm system? Is it registered with NRPD?
Is there a fixed extinguisher system? Is it registered with NRFD?
Are there hazardous/chemical materials onsite?
Is there a 209U form filed with the NRFD?
Is cooking done on the premises?
Does the business participate in the City's Nonresidential Refuse collection program?
Is this a Home-Based business?
Name of most senior level employee and title.
Address, Phone and e-mail of most senior level employee.
The names of two emergency (after hours) contact persons with phone and e-mails.
Indication that the business wants/does not want to be included in a City business listing.
If the property is not owned by business owner, the name of landlord or management company, along with address and phone number.
Signature of business owner or representative indicating that information submitted is correct.
Business Registration number generated upon completion of application.
Upon completion of the retail business registration form, a Business Registration Certificate shall be issued that is to be prominently displayed at the place of business.
Any existing retail business in the City of New Rochelle as of the passing of this chapter is required to comply with the terms of this chapter no later than March 31 for the year 2015 only.
Any retail business having received a Business Registration Certificate is required to amend any information submitted on the application as changes occur. Notice must be given to the City within 30 days of such changes.
If it is determined that any information in a retail business's registration form is false, the City will give notice to the business of that determination. If the business fails to correct the false information within 10 days of notification, the City may revoke the registration. The City shall notify the business of such revocation. Penalty shall be as set forth in Chapter 133, Fees.
It shall be unlawful for a retail business, or any business manager of a business, to fail to register a business as required by this chapter. A retail business or business manager of a business that violates or fails to comply with any provision of this chapter shall be fined, upon conviction, in an amount not to exceed that set forth in Chapter 133, Fees.