[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Board of the Town of Koshkonong as Title 10, Ch. 2, of the 1996 Code. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Streets and sidewalks — See Ch. 535.
[Amended 3-13-2019 by Ord. No. 1]
The provisions describing and defining regulations with respect to all-terrain vehicles in the following-enumerated subsections of § 23.33, Wis. Stats., and any future amendments or revisions, are hereby adopted by reference and made part of this section as if fully set forth herein. Any acts required to be performed by the statutory subsections or which are prohibited by such statutory subsections are required to be performed by this section or are prohibited by this section.
The unauthorized off-road operation of motor vehicles has resulted in serious damage to public and private lands, including damage or destruction of vegetation, animal life and improvement to the lands; and
The unauthorized off-road operation of motor vehicles has resulted in the permanent scarring of land and an increase in both erosion and air pollution; and
The unauthorized off-road operation of motor vehicles has resulted in collisions and near collisions threatening the life and safety of the operators of such vehicles as well as of other persons; and
The unauthorized off-road operation of motor vehicles has resulted in a loss of the privacy, quietude and serenity to which the owners and users of land are rightfully entitled.
Definitions. For purposes of this section, the terms below shall be defined as follows:
- MOTOR VEHICLE
- For purposes of this section, any vehicle which is self-propelled
and shall include but not be limited to automobiles, trucks, jeeps,
vans, motorcycles, motorbikes, golf carts, go-karts, motorized three-wheeled
vehicles, all-terrain vehicles, mopeds, snowmobiles, dune buggies
and lawn tractors. Motor vehicle shall not mean any airplane, railroad
train, boat, wheelchair or bicycle. A vehicle which would otherwise
be defined as a motor vehicle under this section shall not be so defined
while:[Amended 3-13-2019 by Ord. No. 1]
- (1) It is being operated solely for the purpose of construction or maintenance of an improvement to land or solely for access to construction or maintenance sites, provided such operation is by persons having legitimate business on such lands or sites;
- (2) It is being operated by or at the direction of public employees or utility company employees as part of their employment duties;
- (3) It is being operated by the holder of an easement or right of access on or over the land on which operation is occurring or the holder's employees or agents.
- Any location which:
- (1) Is not a paved or maintained public street or alley; or
- (2) Is not used or maintained by the owner or lessee of land as a driveway, parking lot or other way for motor vehicles; or
- (3) Is a private trail for use only by the owner or his permittees for recreational or other vehicular use. Off-road shall not include any creekbed, riverbed or lake; provided, however, that this subsection shall not apply to snowmobiles or other vehicles being operated on the ice covering such creekbed, riverbed or lake.
- The physical manipulation or activation of any of the controls of a motor vehicle necessary to put it in motion.
- Without the express prior consent of the owner, lessee, manager or other person authorized to give consent by the owner or lessee of land. Authorization shall not be implied from a failure to post private or public land.
Unauthorized off-road operation prohibited.
The unauthorized off-road operation of a motor vehicle is prohibited.
Except for authorized maintenance vehicles and snowmobiles or all-terrain vehicles operating in areas authorized by the Town Board, it shall be unlawful to operate any minibike, go-kart, all-terrain vehicle or any other motor-driven craft or vehicle principally manufactured for off-highway use on the Town streets, alleys, parks, sidewalks, bikeways, parking lots or on any public lands or private lands or parking lots held open to the public. The operator shall at all times have the written consent of the owner before operation of such craft or vehicle on private lands.
[Added 3-13-2019 by Ord. No. 1]
Violations of this chapter shall be subject to the penalty provided in § 1-3, General penalty.