Scope. This chapter represents the conditions under which the Village of Dering Harbor undertakes to supply water to users served by the Village water supply and distribution system. The quality of the water so supplied is not defined, except that the requirements of the New York State Department of Health will be adhered to.
Water district; boundaries and Commissioners. The establishment of the Village of Dering Harbor Water District is hereby ratified and affirmed. The boundaries of the Water District are coterminus with the boundaries of the Village of Dering Harbor. The Board of Trustees shall act as the Board of Commissioners or Commissioners of the Water District.
Statutory authority and purpose. This chapter is adopted pursuant to the provisions of Article 11 of the New York State Village Law and § 10 of the Municipal Home Rule Law to establish rules and regulations for the management and operation of the Village water supply and distribution system, enforcing the collection of water rents and the use of water.
Delegation of authority to administer. Pursuant to § 11-1128 of the New York Village Law, the Board of Trustees has leased and delegated authority to operate and manage the Village water supply and distribution system to the Suffolk County Water Authority ("SCWA"). Subject to the obligations in the agreement between the Village of Dering Harbor and the SCWA, dated November 8, 2019, the procedures and provisions for the administration of this chapter (including, but not limited to, the procedures and provisions with respect to application for use of water, tapping of mains, inspection and access to premises, water meters, billing and payment for water consumed by residents, hereof, right to turn off water) are hereby delegated to the SCWA. Fees and water rents for water consumption shall be determined by the Board of Trustees in their capacity as the Board of Water Commissioners. The water rents shall not be less than the special district water rates determined and published by the SCWA for the Fire Island/Shelter Island and may exceed the SCWA rates for water as may be determined by the Board of Trustees. The enforcement provisions of the chapter shall remain with the Village of Dering Harbor. During the term of any such lease and/or delegation of authority to the SCWA, all references to the Water District and/or Superintendent herein shall be read as the SCWA with same force and effect.
For the purpose of interpreting and applying the terms of this chapter, the following definitions will be observed:
- Includes any structure or enclosure to which water is supplied, whether attached to realty or not.
- DOMESTIC USE
- The residential use of the Village water supply for drinking, preparing food, washing, laundering, flushing toilets, bathing, watering plants and other household functions. Domestic use does not include public, commercial or industrial uses.
- LICENSED PLUMBER
- A master plumber licensed by Suffolk County.
- Includes all places within the Village of Dering Harbor to which water is supplied, whether the same are occupied or vacant.
- SUFFOLK COUNTY WATER AUTHORITY
- A public benefit corporation of the State of New York with offices in Oakdale, Suffolk County, New York.
- The person or entity, including the Suffolk County Water Authority, duly appointed by the Board of Trustees to operate and manage the Village water supply and distribution system.
- The Incorporated Village of Dering Harbor.
- WATER DISTRICT
- The Board of Commissioners, the Superintendent, or other person or entity duly appointed by the Board of Trustees to operate and manage the Village water supply and distribution system, and shall include, where applicable, the authorized agents and representatives, employees and contractors of the Water District.