City of Chicopee, MA
Hampden County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Aldermen (now City Council) of the City of Chicopee as Secs. 26/I/1 through 26/I/7 of the 1976 Code. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Officers and employees — See Ch. 67.
The City Engineer shall make all surveys, measurements, levels, plans, profiles, estimates and descriptions necessary for the laying out, establishing and construction of streets, sidewalks, water mains, common sewers, drains, underground conduits, bridges, culverts and other structures and public works of the City and shall perform such other services and give such information concerning any department of the City's affairs relative to the office of the City Engineer as may be required of him by the Mayor or City Council.
[Amended 9-1-2009]
Prior to the establishment of any new street, building or occupancy, the notification of the Police Department, Fire Department and Municipal Coordinators for Enhanced 9-1-1 is required.
[Added 4-20-1993 by Ord. No. 93-11]
The City Engineer shall have the custody of all surveys, measurements, levels, plans, profiles, estimates and descriptions and shall keep the same in the office provided by the City.
The City Engineer shall make such rules and regulations covering taking of plans and papers from his office as he may deem necessary to ensure their safety.
The City Engineer shall keep all plans, profiles, surveys, measurements, etc., properly classified and indexed and shall deliver the same to his successor.
The City Engineer shall keep a record, properly classified and indexed, of all surveys made in relation to the laying out, widening, extending and grading of streets and the establishing of correct lines and shall give to all applicants, without charge, so far as the files and records of his office will permit, any information desired as to the lines and grades of the streets on which their estates are situated or upon which they intend to build.
The City Engineer shall measure all work done by contract for the City and shall furnish a certificate of such measurements to the City Auditor before said Auditor shall pass any contract bill for payment. The certificate shall be attached to and filed with the bill.
It shall be the duty of the City Engineer to assign a number to all tenements and buildings on all streets, whether public or private, in the City of Chicopee.[1]
Editor's Note: See Ch. 243, Art. I, Street Numbering.
The City Engineer shall have an assistant who shall be a resident of the City of Chicopee, appointed by the Mayor, and shall perform such duties as required by the City Engineer. Whenever, by reason of absence, illness or other cause, the City Engineer is unable to perform the duties of his office, the Assistant City Engineer shall perform such duties and when so doing shall exercise all of the powers and assume all of the responsibilities of the office of the City Engineer.
[Added 1-6-1987; amended 4-7-1987; 2-16-1988; 11-19-2002 by Ord. No. 02-55]
Any property to be abandoned is to be reviewed by the City Engineer for his comments.
If surveying is necessary, it is to be paid for by the person who wants the property abandoned.
Steps to be followed.
Step 1: Upon receipt of a request by the City Council, the City Engineer shall notify all departments for input regarding needs or utilities that may be in the proposed area of abandonment. The departments notified shall include, but not be limited to, the following: Assessors, Building, Electric Light, Conservation, DPW, Engineering, Fire, Planning, Wastewater, Water, Parks Department, Police Department, Mayor's office, and Law Department.
[Amended 9-20-2007 by Ord. No. 07-66; 9-1-2009]
Step 2: If there are no requests by any departments to retain ownership. of proposed areas or ways to be abandoned, then the City Council shall request the City Engineer to prepare a description and plan for the area to be abandoned.
[Amended 9-1-2009]
Step 3: Notwithstanding the provisions of Step 2, the preparation of plans, deeds and the filing thereof, along with any filing fees, for the area to be abandoned shall be the responsibility of the interested abutting owners. The plan submitted by interested abutter(s) shall be from a certified engineer.
Step 4: The interested abutter(s) shall supply an appraisal of the property from a certified appraiser.
Step 5: The City Council, by a two-thirds vote, may authorize the conveyance of such land, or of part thereof, or the abandonment of such easement or right or part thereof, and specify the minimum amount to be paid for such conveyance or abandonment.
[Amended 9-1-2009]
Step 6: The Mayor, for such amount as stated by the City Council or larger amount, and upon such other terms as the Mayor shall consider proper, shall convey said land or part thereof, by deed, or declare said easement or right, or part thereof, to be abandoned. Such declaration, being recorded in the Hampden County Registry of Deeds, shall extinguish the easement or right, or part thereof.
[Amended 9-1-2009]
Step 7: When in receipt of the new deeds, the Assessors shall provide the new owner(s) with a valuation of the land for tax purposes.