[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Board of the Town of Geddes as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
[Adopted at time of adoption of Code (see Ch. 1, General Provisions, Art. I)]
The purpose of this article is to regulate consumption of alcoholic beverages on public lands and the possession of open containers of alcoholic beverages on public lands in the Town of Geddes, County of Onondaga, State of New York. This article is being enacted to preserve the public peace and good order and to exercise the police power of the town to promote the general health, safety and welfare of the residents of the town by enacting this article since it is the finding of the Town Board that the possession of open containers of alcoholic beverages by persons on public lands, streets and sidewalks and the consumption of alcoholic beverages on public lands should be regulated, except under controlled conditions, as such is detrimental to the health, safety and welfare of the residents of the Town of Geddes, in that such possession and consumption contributes to the development of unsanitary conditions and the creation of a nuisance. It is further the intent of the Town Board that this article shall not be considered as a traffic regulation insofar as it relates to motor vehicles or to the operation thereof.
For the purpose of this article, the following terms shall have the meanings ascribed to them. All other words shall have the meanings normally ascribed to them in regular usage.
- ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES
- Includes all beverages as defined in the Alcoholic Beverage Control Law of the State of New York.
- Any bottle, can, glass, cup or similar receptacle suitable for or used to hold any liquid.
- INTENT TO CONSUME
- Includes any of the following:
- OPEN CONTAINER
- The condition of the container, containing liquor, beer, wine or other alcoholic beverage, as the same is defined by the Alcoholic Beverage Control Law of the State of New York, whose cap, cork, top or other closing device has been removed or the condition of a can which is punctured or pulled open so as to break its seal.
- Exercise of dominion over the container or beverage.
- PUBLIC LANDS
- Any highway, street, sidewalk, park, playground, parking lot, shopping center, school grounds, lands owned by the town or in possession of said town or any other place to which the public has access, including a public parking lot or driveway for one or more vehicles used by patrons of any commercial, industrial or professional place of business, but excluding those public places wherein the use and consumption of alcoholic beverages is authorized pursuant to a license or permit issued under the Alcoholic Beverage Control Law of the State of New York.
- The Town of Geddes, New York.
No person shall possess, carry or transport any alcoholic beverage with the intent to consume the same in any open or unsealed container on any public lands as defined as aforesaid or in any motor vehicle as defined by the Vehicle and Traffic Law of the State of New York.
The provisions of this article shall not apply in the event of a picnic or community gathering for which special permission has been granted by the Town Board of the Town of Geddes or its duly designated agent.
Each violation of this article shall be punishable by a fine not to exceed $250 or by imprisonment for not more than 15 days, or both, for each offense. A conviction of an offense against this article shall constitute a violation. Each such violation shall constitute a separate violation.