For the purposes of this chapter, certain terms and words used herein shall be interpreted as follows:
Words used in the present tense include the future tense; the singular number includes the plural, and the plural number includes the singular; words of masculine gender include feminine gender, and words of feminine gender include masculine gender.
The word "includes" or "including" shall not limit the term to the specific example, but is intended to extend its meaning to all other instances of the kind and character.
The word "person" includes an individual, firm, association, organization, partnership, trust, company, corporation, or any other similar entity.
The words "shall" and "must" are mandatory words and "may" and "should" are permissive.
The words "used" or "occupied" include the words "intended, designed, maintained, or arranged to be used or occupied."
Unless a contrary intention clearly appears, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given in this section. All words and terms not defined herein shall be used with a meaning of standard usage.
- BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
- The Board of Supervisors, Chestnuthill Township, County of Monroe, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- CHESTNUTHILL TOWNSHIP
- Chestnuthill Township, the County of Monroe, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- CONSERVATION EASEMENT
- A legal right granted or sold by a property owner to the Township, some other public entity, or a private conservation organization which permanently restricts the type and amount of development that may take place on the property, and specifies the type, if any, of public access to the property.
- The County of Monroe, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- ENFORCEMENT OFFICER
- The agent or official designated by the Township to administer and enforce the provisions of this chapter.
- HIGHWAY FUNCTIONAL CLASSIFICATION
- The identification of general operating conditions and operational characteristics of roads categorized according to a hierarchy, as designated by the Official Map or Chapter 98, Subdivision and Land Development.
- MUNICIPAL or MUNICIPALITY
- Chestnuthill Township, Monroe County, Pennsylvania.
- PUBLIC GROUND
- Any land, right-of-way, easement or other interest in land owned, operated, or controlled by a government agency, including but not limited to buildings, streets and street rights-of-way, parks, playgrounds, and open space reservations, conservation easements, sidewalks and pedestrianways and easements, railroad and transit rights-of-way and easements, airports, flood control facilities, stormwater management facilities, and drainage easements. As used in this definition "public" does not necessarily mean the public ground is open for the use and access by the general public. For example a street right-of-way limits use by the property owner over whose land the right-of-way runs, and a conservation easement may only prohibit development but not allow access by the general public.
- PUBLIC NOTICE
- Notice published once each week for two consecutive weeks in a newspaper of general circulation in the Township. Such notice shall state the time and place of the hearing and the particular nature of the matter to be considered at the hearing. The first publication shall not be more than 30 days and the second publication shall not be less than seven days from the date of the hearing.
- The total width of any land reserved or dedicated for the purposes of a street, crosswalk, or for other public purposes.
- A strip of land, including the entire right-of-way, to provide access to more than one lot. The word street includes street, avenue, boulevard, thoroughfare, road, highway, freeway, parkway, lane, alley, viaduct, and other ways used or intended to be used by vehicular traffic or pedestrians, whether public or private.
- STREET, PRIVATE
- A street which is not dedicated for public use and maintenance.
- STREET, PUBLIC
- A street which is dedicated for public use and maintenance.
- ZONING HEARING BOARD
- The Chestnuthill Township Zoning Hearing Board.