[HISTORY: Adopted by the Mayor and Council of the Borough of Clementon 10-22-1984 by Ord. No. 84-25. Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the enumerated terms shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates that a different meaning is intended:
- LIBRARY CARD
- A card or plate issued by a library facility for purposes of identifying the person to whom the library card was issued as authorized to borrow, subject to all limitations and conditions imposed on such borrowing by the library facility issuing such card.
- LIBRARY FACILITY
- Any municipal library, other public library or any library of a museum, educational, historical or eleemosynary institution, organization or society.
- LIBRARY MATERIAL
- Any book, plate, picture, photograph, engraving, painting, sculpture, statue, artifact, drawing, map, newspaper, pamphlet, magazine, manuscript, document, letter, microfilm, sound recording, audiovisual material, magnetic or other tape, electronic data-processing record, written or printed material regardless of physical form or characteristics, or any part thereof, belonging to, or on loan to or otherwise in the custody of a library facility.
- PREMISES OF A LIBRARY FACILITY
- The interior of a building, structure or other enclosure, in which a library facility is located, and in which the library facility keeps, displays or makes available, for inspection or borrowing, library material. For purposes of this chapter, such premises do not include the exterior appurtenances to such building, structure or enclosure.
A person commits the offense of library theft when he or she does any of the following acts:
Knowingly and intentionally removes any library material from the premises of a library facility without authority to do so.
Knowingly and intentionally conceals any library material upon his or her person or among his or her belongings, while still in the premises of a library facility, and in such manner that the library material is not visible through ordinary observation and removes such library material beyond the last point in the premises of that library facility, at which library material may be borrowed in accordance with procedures established by that library facility for the borrowing of library material.
With the intent to deceive, borrows or attempts to borrow any library material from a library facility by either use of a library card issued to another without the other's consent or use of a library card knowing that it is revoked, canceled or expired, or use of a library card knowing that it is falsely made, counterfeit or materially altered.
Borrows from a library facility any library material and willfully, without good cause, fails to return such library material within 30 days after receiving written notice by certified or registered mail, from the library facility, demanding the return of such library material. In the event that the registered or certified mail is returned, without being accepted by the alleged violator, this section will be satisfied if any personnel authorized by the library facility delivers a notice to the address of the borrower setting forth the demand as incorporated in this section.
Each library facility shall post at their primary entrances and exits a conspicuous sign to read as follows: IN ORDER TO PREVENT THE THEFT OF BOOKS AND LIBRARY MATERIALS, LOCAL LAW AUTHORIZES CRIMINAL PROSECUTION AGAINST ANY PERSON WHO IS SUSPECTED OF COMMITTING A THEFT OF LIBRARY MATERIAL.
[Added 4-11-2006 by Ord. No. 2006-08]
There is hereby established for the Borough of Clementon the position entitled “Librarian Assistant.”
[Added 4-11-2006 by Ord. No. 2006-08]
The duties and responsibilities of the Librarian Assistant shall be as follows: Duties are pursuant to the New Jersey State Department of Personnel and may be acquired for review by prospective candidates at the Clementon Municipal Building, 101 Gibbsboro Road, Clementon, New Jersey. Phone number: (856) 783-0284.
Any person of the age of 18 years or over, who shall violate any of the provisions of this chapter, shall, upon conviction thereof, be punished by a fine not to exceed $500 or by imprisonment in the county jail for a term not exceeding 90 days, or both. A separate offense shall be deemed committed on each day during or on which a violation occurs or continues.