[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Village of East Rockaway 12-9-1985 by L.L. No. 7-1985; amended in its entirety 5-14-2012 by L.L. No. 6-2012. Subsequent amendments noted where applicable.]
Vehicles and traffic — See Ch. 275.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- A vessel capable of carrying one or more people and intended for use on or in water.
- A vehicle, whether self-propelled or non-self-propelled, containing sleeping and other facilities for habitation.
- COMMERCIAL VEHICLE
- Every type of motor-driven vehicle registered as a commercial vehicle or used for commercial purposes, such as, but not limited to, the transportation of goods, wares or merchandise or passengers for hire, including trailers, full trailers and semitrailers and tractors when used in combination with trailers, full trailers and semitrailers.
- FULL TRAILER
- A detachable trailer for hauling freight, having its forward and rear ends supported by axles and wheels.
- METERED PARKING
- Parking which shall require payment at either:
- A. An individual meter that is exclusive to a specific parking space;
- B. A central meter which allows payment for a specific parking space; or
- C. A "pay and display" type of central meter whereby a receipt is issued, for display in a vehicle, that allows the vehicle to park in any parking space within the lot for a specified duration.
- MOBILE HOME
- A structure, mounted on axles and wheels, which contains living facilities and which may be towed by automobile or truck from place to place. Such structure will be considered a mobile home for purposes of this chapter, whether or not the wheels and axles are still in place.
- MOBILE HOME and/or RECREATIONAL VEHICLE
- Any vehicle, whether self-propelled or non-self-propelled, standing on wheels only, with no foundation, jacks or skirting, used or constructed or intended for use for conveyance upon public streets or highways, so designed, constructed or reconstructed that it can be used for occupancy as a dwelling, living or sleeping place for one or more persons or for the conduct of any business or profession or occupation or trade.
- A detachable trailer for hauling freight, having its rear end supported by an axle and wheels and its forward end supported by the rear of a truck tractor when attached.
- A combination trucking unit consisting of a truck tractor and a full trailer or semitrailer.
- A non-self-propelled vehicle designed to be pulled by a self-propelled vehicle and generally used for the transporting of goods, wares, materials, merchandise, vehicles, boats, motorized vehicles, yard waste and other miscellaneous items.
- TRUCK TRACTOR
- A truck with a body containing only a cab for the driver, used to haul detachable trailers.
The municipal parking fields in the Village of East Rockaway are hereby known and designated as "parking fields," as follows, wherein the parking of vehicles shall be permitted only upon the conditions set forth in this chapter:
Field No. 1: the northeast corner of Rocklyn Avenue and Atlantic Avenue.
Field No. 2: the west side of Forest Avenue, north of Rocklyn Avenue.
Field No. 3: the east side of Ocean Avenue, immediately north of the property of the Long Island Rail Road.
Field No. 4: the east side of Ocean Avenue, south of the property of the Long Island Rail Road and bordering the East Rockaway railroad station.
Field No. 5: the north side of Davison Plaza beginning 264 feet west of Ocean Avenue for a distance of 184 feet.
Field No. 6: the west side of Ocean Avenue, beginning 151 feet south of Atlantic Avenue.
Field No. 7: the east side of Ocean Avenue beginning 211 feet south of Atlantic Avenue.
Field No. 8: all on-street spaces along Althouse Avenue between Front Street and the dead end of Althouse Avenue; and all on-street spaces along Dock Street between Althouse Avenue and Main Street at the waterfront.
Field No. 9: the east end of Althouse Avenue at the waterfront.
Field No. 10: the northwest corner of Williamson Street and Fifth Avenue.
Field No. 11: the southeast corner of Denton Avenue and the Atlantic Avenue Extension.
Field No. 12: the west side of Cammerer Avenue, 100 feet south of Main Street.
Field No. 13: the northwest corner of Baisley Avenue and Davis Street.
Field No. 14: the rear of the library/fire headquarters building on Atlantic Avenue, off Main Street.
Field No. 15: the east side of Atlantic Avenue, approximately 121 feet south of Phipps Avenue.
Field No. 16: on the southeast corner of Atlantic Avenue and James Street across from the Village Hall.
Except in metered parking spaces, or as otherwise provided herein, no person shall park any vehicle or permit any vehicle to stand in a parking field unless a permit has been obtained from the Village Clerk.
Rates and terms for parking permits shall be determined from time to time by resolution of the Board of Trustees.
The issuance of parking permits, as listed herein, and terms therefor, shall be determined from time to time by resolution of the Board of Trustees.
A resident parking permit shall be issued to residents of the Village and to persons residing outside of the corporate boundaries of the Village but within the jurisdiction of the East Rockaway Post Office.
A nonresident parking permit shall be issued to any person who does not qualify for a resident parking permit.
A business/employee parking permit shall be issued to any person who operates a business within the Village or who is actually employed by a business within the Village.
No parking permit shall be issued to the registered owner of any vehicle which has three or more outstanding and unpaid parking violations that are returnable in the East Rockaway Justice Court.
The Village Clerk shall, at the time such permit is issued, deliver to such permittee a distinctive sticker or tag bearing a number and the term for which such permit shall be valid.
The fees for parking permits, and terms therefor, shall be determined from time to time by resolution of the Board of Trustees.
The payment of the fee and the issuance of the sticker or tag shall not be construed to guarantee the applicant a reserved space.
The applicant shall conspicuously display said sticker or tag in a manner and location as prescribed on the parking permit or application.
Such permit shall not be transferable from one owner to another or from one vehicle to another. In the event that the owner replaces the licensed vehicle during the calendar year, the sticker or tag should be removed from the licensed vehicle and should be presented to the Village Clerk. A new sticker or tag will be issued by the Village Clerk, and a processing fee, as determined from time to time by resolution of the Board of Trustees, will be charged.
The following vehicles shall be prohibited from standing, parking or being loaded or unloaded in any portion of any of the municipal parking fields of the Village of East Rockaway:
Commercial vehicles in excess of 2 1/2 tons, or larger than 19 feet in length, six feet six inches in width, and eight feet six inches in height, inclusive of any exterior racks, fixtures, toolboxes, containers or other equipment, hardware or fixtures designed to accommodate tools, service equipment, construction materials or other commercial merchandise.
Truck tractors, full trailers, semitrailers or tractor-trailers.
Vehicles containing sewage effluent, commonly known as "scavenger trucks."
Vehicles of any size containing any flammable, explosive, toxic or noxious materials.
Mobile homes, recreational vehicles or campers.
Trailers of any kind.
Notwithstanding any other provision in this section, no commercial vehicle shall park for more than 48 consecutive hours in any of the municipal parking fields of the Village of East Rockaway.
In any municipal parking field in which parking stalls are not marked or indicated, all motor vehicles shall be parked with respect to any indicated line of parking as is designated on any sign therein. Each vehicle shall be parked so that there shall be a space of at least two feet on each side and not more than three feet from any other vehicle already parked. No vehicle shall extend more than 18 inches from said indicated line of parking.
In any municipal parking field in which parking stalls are marked or indicated, all motor vehicles shall be parked within and parallel to the side lines of any such stall and shall not extend more than 18 inches from the front of such stall.
Any motor vehicle parked in such a manner that any portion of the vehicle extends outside of the indicated stall parking area shall constitute a violation of this chapter.
In any municipal parking field, all vehicles shall be parked in the spaces in a head-in position.
It shall be unlawful to make repairs, paint, clean or wash any vehicle in any municipal parking field in the Village of East Rockaway, except in an emergency.
The parking of a vehicle in any municipal lot for a period in excess of 48 hours is prohibited.
All provisions of this chapter, with respect to parking permits and limitations of time for parking, shall be effective every day except Sunday and holidays; provided, however, that within the meaning of this chapter, the term "holiday" shall include the following days only:
If any of the aforementioned holidays are not celebrated on the regular date but on another day designated by the state or federal government, then the designated day becomes the holiday insofar as this chapter is concerned.
Any person violating any of the provisions of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be liable for and pay a penalty or fine pursuant to the provisions of this chapter and Chapter 275, Vehicles and Traffic. It shall be a violation of the provisions of this chapter for any person to park or permit another to park any vehicle registered in the name of such person in a manner prohibited by this chapter. It shall be presumed that a registered owner of a vehicle has parked or permitted another to park said vehicle in a manner parked in any municipal parking field. The continuation of an offense against the provisions of this chapter shall constitute, for each day the offense is continued, a separate and distinct offense.